Question about bloomers...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeputyDan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Or should I say - what to wear under your wetsuit to keep warm.

One of my kids chills easily regardless of temp in her Henderson 3mm GoldCore.

I'm not about to pay alot for a 5MM (Like George Forman and his muffler) So, anyone have ideals about thermal bloomers, etc. that would be reasonably priced to keep her warm and could be worn under the wetsuit.

DD

I use a 1mm neoprene vest during the colder months of diving here. It goes either against your skin or between the jacket and long john (although that's with a twopiece 7mm suit). I got it from a local company, O'Dare, though I'm sure if you shop around you'll pick one up easily. Can't remember the price, though it was less than €100- €60 or €80 i think.

Don't think you'll have much luck, as thermal underwear is designed to work in air, usually by friction of movement.

The only way to keep her warmer is by the insulating properties of neoprene. What you could do, is instead get her just an additional "core warmer" which will cover the core body parts with an additional layer of neoprene. You can find these relatively cheaply, although Henderson makes a very good one, which will still be less than purchasing a new suit. Whites makes a good one too, with an attached hood.

Also, a lot of body heat is lost through the head, so anything with an attached hood will be a good bet.

Hi DD,
I agree with what the others have said. All the suggestions present good options.
I have used, with good results, a front zip vest, with a beanie. The core warmer would probably provide even more thermal protection than the vest.

The core warmer, or a vest, and especially the beanie are good ideas that work. One thing, if you go with a vest, it should be worn outside the gold core suit (unless the vest is also a gold core-or other "slick lined" product.) The lining helps the suit cling to your skin, producing better fit, and better warmth.Wearing a "regular" vest beneath that type suit will compromise some of the thermal protection.
Also, the vest outside the suit will help reduce water infiltration through the zipper, assuming the suit is rear zip,and the vest is front zip,or 'pull over"
On that note, are does your daughters' suit fit properly? A too loose suit will not give the thermal protection that it should.

Good luck,
Mike

DeputyDan:
Or should I say - what to wear under your wetsuit to keep warm.

One of my kids chills easily regardless of temp in her Henderson 3mm GoldCore.

I'm not about to pay alot for a 5MM (Like George Forman and his muffler) So, anyone have ideals about thermal bloomers, etc. that would be reasonably priced to keep her warm and could be worn under the wetsuit.

DD
A hooded vest will probably get you the most warmth for the buck.

The Henderson Gold Core stuff seems to work really well. The stuff about "reflecting heat" is hype. The lining seals against the skin very well, which does reduce water flow, which makes a considerable difference.

I have come to the conclusion that reducing water exchange is more important than suit thickness, although both come into play.

Most surface underwear will actually make you colder underwater due to increased water exchange.

Thanks for the input.

The suit fits her like skin. As a matter of fact she has to peel it off.

She wears a "tropical beanie" Guess we will try an over the suit core warmer.

DD

I use the Henderson core warmer and a beanie. If conditions are cooler. I will add/substitute a hooded vest. I am easily cooled and there is no more uncomfortable way to dive. Look after your kid or you may lose their interest altogether.

BTW, the core warmer CAN be used outside the suit, if the suit is too tight. It is less effective, but better than nothing. The core warmer or vest will not be outgrown as quickly as a suit.

Back
Top Bottom