Question about changing tank size to accomodate air consumption rate.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Man, am I disappointed! A quick Google search for "borg cupcake" reveals the following picture:

SOpii.png

Very low probability that Lynne made the cupcake herself. :shakehead:

whew! for a minute there I thought that poor cupcake had an eye tumor!

lynne, change to the smiling one on the right...she looks happy to be being assimilated!

I was thinking that, too :) Although maybe it's a bit impish/unaware/kid-being-tickled looking, with that particular smile and the one eye squinted closed. There really aren't any with an open, friendly smile that also look competent.

Geez, you'd think there'd be a better selection of borg cupcakes... :wink:

My thoughts are always: above the water is MUCH safer than below the waterline-------surface & make sure you have that snorkel(lol-see my thread I just started on THAT subject)....good luck....Also what I'd do is rent(in your case) the 80, never can have too much air 'down there'--sorta like you can never 'feel to good', get my drift??...good luck on your dilemma.......

The question I am asking is - why would you want to bring less gas on any dive?

If I dive w/ an air hog, I want to make darn sure I have enough if I have to share gas w/ them.

If I dive w/ someone who breathes like a fish, I want to make sure I have enough gas to not cut their dive short.

If I come back to to the boat w/ more gas in my tank than I would have expected, I do not view that as anything bad.

The question I am asking is - why would you want to bring less gas on any dive?

Because the Op is of small stature and they'd prefer not to lug around such a bulky and heavy tank, and because they are analytical and like to know "why", a smaller tank might be a good idea since they have been given numerous suggestions by helpful divers to go to a smaller tank and they don't see the benefit.

It's all right there in the first post.

Edited to add: I see idocsteve and I were posting at the same time. He hit on it exactly: I like to understand the concepts behind things, and the pros and cons of various choices so that then I can make informed decisions. For some people, this might seem like annoying details getting in the way of diving; for me, it's part of the enjoyment of it :)

Now there is probably no need to read my post, but I'll leave it below anyway

Just to clarify: Right now I don't have any preference in tank size. I asked the question because a dive op suggested an AL63 to me, and I've since read threads here wherein a smaller or larger tank was recommended to someone for consumption/size reasons.

Then, on the other hand, I had spoken with someone who mentioned the "buddy gas" concept, and how you are carrying your buddy's spare air; and from that angle it seemed that the opposite would be true (that is, the "sippier" diver would not carry less air).

So, I started the thread to hear what people have to say on the subject and then to be able to make an informed decision if the tank-size-option comes up again :)

B.

Of course you need to consider your rock bottom requirements for both you and your buddy. But if you keep returning from dives with 15 cu ft of gas beyond your minimum requirements and you would like to take 5 lb off your back, switching from an 80 to a 63 makes good sense.

My wife and I often do shallower dives with me in an 80 and her in a 63.

Just do it.

If your buddy has a SAC rate of .4 and you have a SAC rate of .8, then you're going to use twice the amount of gas on a given dive.

If you have the financial wherewithall to get different tanks, do so.

Be a booger to make your buddy have to turn on a 40 minute dive at 25 minutes because you didn't have enough gas.

the K

Back
Top Bottom