Question Air consumption

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is correct, but as a former elite athlete, I'm also quite capable of sucking a tank down much faster then a sedentary person. I also feel it takes less effort for my body to go into "exercise mode" and elevate my RMV.

I personally feel swimming is prob the best bang for buck exercise to improve diving…both RMV and general comfort in water. I don’t think many agencies empathize this enough.

Air consumption as a newish diver will resolve itself as you become more comfortable in the water.
There is one ultimate measurement of air consumption on a chartered boat dive where the maximum dive time is determined by others. If you have bubbles left in your tank when standing on the ladder your air consumption is fine for the conditions. Relaxing in the water will do more for your ultimate consumption than anything else. Learning buoyancy and finning skills will speed the relaxation effort, if you are not obsessing about them.

Hello together

I have the following situation :
When I dive with others, they need less air.
So often at the safety stop I am at 70 or 80 bar and my buddies are at 100 or 110 bar.
I make sure that I am always at about the same depth as my buddy. I dive dry and so do my buddies, they have between 500 - 1500 dives.

I have always tracked my AVM the last few dives.
It's always between 14 and 16 (I can't judge whether that's a lot or a little because I still don't have enough experience after only about 25 dives. )
Is it possible that I am using a lot more air because I am not yet so experienced with buoyancy?

Pascal
There are a lot of things that affect air consumption and experience is one of them. The more dives you have, the better your air consumption will be. Though Buoyancy plays a part, one way to reduce air consumption is to work on your trim. Staying as horizontal as possible will make you more streamlined in the water. Also things like waving your arms, kicking and other movements will increase air consumption. Also, take a look at what is "hanging on you". Make sure your SMB is tucked away, hoses are not dangling, your gauges are secure against your body. It may not seem like much, but all of that affects how streamlined you are.

Practice inhaling for a count of 5 and exhaling for a count of 5. With that being said, make sure you aren't "skip breathing" which is where you try to hold a breath for a long time and not have the same amount of exhale. That will give you a headache and can cause carbon dioxide buildup.

If you are breathing 14-16 normal liters per minute in a drysuit, stop worrying about it. I know technical dive instructors with higher air consumption than that.

New diver here as well. I just did my deep cert. I now have 36 dives (12 out of which on my vacation last week + course). I started to track my sac rate and interestingly, it went steadily down over the course of those last 12 dives. Even on those I didn't feel particularly great (cold). Even on my last deep cert dive where I had to do the maths, lead the dive, shoot the DSMB and was apparently finning way faster than usual. I guess it's practice. For what it's worth, it went from 16 down to 13 in that time span, which really surprised me. Let's see if it goes back up between now and the next dives when I practice less. I don't obsess over it. It is what it is and I come up when I have to. I just think it's fascinating to observe.

Yes it’s meant in liters, Sorry I didn't formulate it correctly.
Are you a man or woman? What’s your weight and height?

It’s not a bad sac rate for someone in drysuit tbh?

Are you mostly floating and bumbling during your dives or finning semi actively?

I believe most items have been discussed, weight, finning, breathing, moving slow. However, the biggest difference for me happened when I slowed my mind down. Relax, enjoy the time underwater, enjoy the peace, you will find as you relax and respond slowly your gas comsumption will improve significantly. You are doing real well now for a new diver, keep up the good work. Enjoy your dives, that is why we do this anyway isn't it!

Inhale with a slow count to 5.....then pause for 2-3 seconds.....then exhale with a slow count to 5...then pause for 2 -3 seconds..... repeat. Just try it right there in your chair as you sit and read this. Just say'n.

Are you a man or woman? What’s your weight and height?

It’s not a bad sac rate for someone in drysuit tbh?

Are you mostly floating and bumbling during your dives or finning semi actively?
I am a Man, 186cm and 90kg very fit. Im going in the Gym 4-5 times a week.
Most of the time we are diving along a wall so some finning is necessary.

I believe most items have been discussed, weight, finning, breathing, moving slow. However, the biggest difference for me happened when I slowed my mind down. Relax, enjoy the time underwater, enjoy the peace, you will find as you relax and respond slowly your gas comsumption will improve significantly. You are doing real well now for a new diver, keep up the good work. Enjoy your dives, that is why we do this anyway isn't it!
I see what you mean. I have also realised that when I dive at new dive sites that I am not familiar with and have to orientate myself and navigate with the compass, I use more air than at dive sites that I can navigate without help and know well.
At known dive sites, I know the depth profile and what will happen in 10 minutes, for example.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom