Question about Discover Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With the added input it I say it depends on the vision for the cruise/trip. If it's dive centeric then I'd say for them to do a discover dive at home and if they like the experience get trained pre-trip. Remember that not everyone's first time(s) on scuba is a stress free lark. If nothing else get them out skin divng a bunch pre-trip. Make sure they are comfortable in the water, used to sustained oral only breathing and having their faces in the water. These things will go along way towards derisking the adventure.

If diving is just something they want to try as part of the trip then Perhaps start slow at one port with a discover program and if they prove to be easy learners a resort course/dive at the next port will bring them further along. As mentioned these are all terminal programs with no credit or certification.

Pete

I am just waiting for NASA to announce the Discover Space program, so I can go out on a supervised space walk without having to actually go through the training to become an astronaut. :rolleyes:

Sorry...getting off my soap box now....

gangrel441:
I am just waiting for NASA to announce the Discover Space program, so I can go out on a supervised space walk without having to actually go through the training to become an astronaut. :rolleyes:

Sorry...getting off my soap box now....

ROFLMAO

fearnosurf:
Most Cruises offer a 'Padi Scuba Diver' course that will allow them to dive with a DM. While it's not recomended of course, and in fact it's the same cost as getting fully certified at home.
Coattailing from what fearnosurf said -- and leaving my opinions at the dock -- here's the deal:
  • PADI's "Discover Scuba" (Resort course) will have them diving somewhere along with an PADI *instructor* as their "effective buddy" (whatever that means). They will first work off a flip chart in a short pool session that should include mask clearing, reg purging, etc. Pretty much a one-shot deal, rinse and repeat each time.
  • PADI's "Scuba Diver" is in reality the first half of their Open Water Diver certification. 3/5 of the book is covered (note, the bulk of dive planning and DCS/DCI is *not* covered at this level), some hopefully good pool work, and they'll be able dive under the "direct supervision" (whatever that means) of a PADI Divemaster, Assistant Instructor, or Instructor. This can be done at home, they won't need to repeat the pool session every time unless the instructor thinks they need to. There are no open water dives in this program, just dives with a PADI dive pro.
  • PADI's "Open Water Diver" is their full certification. A PADI Scuba Diver could complete the rest of the book, pool sessions, and open water checkout dives and get their OW card.

Now back to my opinions. After getting my OW card, I was shocked at how unprepared I really was in my earlier resort course dives. OTOH, that's how I got the bug and its how a lot of people get started diving.

IMO, better than the resort course would be the PADI Scuba Diver course, which is pretty much universally scoffed at but at least they can do their pool skills and have a lot more background information (from the book) than the resort course diver.

If it were my friends I'd insist they get their OW c-cards at home, failing that I'd rather see them dive as PADI Scuba Divers than doing the resort course. Its also easier for the dive op you/they are going out with. You are limiting yourselves to PADI operations, but that's probably a given anyway diving from a cruise ship.

Edit: To add that I was surprised to find out later all off the things I wasn't taught in my PADI OW class that probably should have been covered, IMO. As always, YMMV.

StSomewhere:
PADI's "Scuba Diver" is in reality the first half of their Open Water Diver certification. 3/5 of the book is covered (note, the bulk of dive planning and DCS/DCI is *not* covered at this level), some hopefully good pool work, and they'll be able dive under the "direct supervision" (whatever that means) of a PADI Divemaster, Assistant Instructor, or Instructor. This can be done at home, they won't need to repeat the pool session every time unless the instructor thinks they need to. There are no open water dives in this program, just dives with a PADI dive pro.
No... the PADI Scuba Diver Course does require two of the OWD's four open-water dives... Open Water Dives 1-2. According to the manual, Dive 1 is just supposed to be a "fun dive;" no skills practiced or checked. Dive 2 does most of the basic skills.

After completion of the Scuba Diver Course, a diver still has to dive, as you say, "accompanied by a PADI professional-level diver to a maximum depth of 12 metres/40 feet."

A PADI Scuba Diver Course usually tends to be about half the price of the OWD Course, and is creditable toward the OWD within a year, I think. So the break-even point would be the cost of about -- what -- three Discover Diving sessions? So that might indeed be a good option, if there's decent open-water diving at home.

Hmmm... I wonder whether the Scuba Diver Course OW dives can be done on a referral basis?

--Marek

Thanks for the info.

Believe me I do realize the difference of taking full course versus a discover course and agree with most of your opinions. They don't want to invest the time/money in a full course w/out knowing if they will like it or not. I think they're going to do a discover in Honoras. I'm impressed they're even willing to give it a try. I really didn't think they would be interested.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom