Question about Dry Suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StSomewhere:
RTodd, I did ask for an explanation, you resorted to "Rule #1". If you stop to think about it, for someone like me who is in the process of buying a drysuit more explanation and less attitude would be helpful. The other thing you didn't bother to address is the "which DIR?" question, which seems like a valid question to me. I'm already sick and tired of losing my shirt buying the wrong equipment, hence the question.

Uh, you realize this *is* the DIR forum? This is *exactly* where this should be discussed.

It was a joke. Get over it. I didn't even direct it at anyone. You asked for the rules and I simply stated what the original two DIR (f/k/a hogarthian) rules were. The term stroke is a reference to divers that have been shown a better way of diving and stubbornly refuse to do it. It isn't some sort of a racial slur. I also actually gave you an answer.

Read my first responses, it covers why a trilam. I later addressed some of the reasons why the TLS is preferred. Some, particularly the "newer" converts, either have an agenda for pushing other suits or want to justify the suit they bought. I gave one answer and explained it was a single example but did not want to continue to argue about it. Here is another, the zeig heil valve placement is absolutely stupid. The same people promoting that are promoting the other suits. Draw your own conculssions.

A DC suit works fine for a typical cold water 20-30 minute mix dive. In general, properly experienced DIR divers recommending these suits are giving you the correct advice too. There is a problem in the thinking that the newly minted DIRF student who has just been exposed to "current" GUE philosphy has it all sorted out and is in a better position to explain DIR. But, you are free to seek advice from whomever you want.

And no, discussing the minute details of why a suit which is very slightly better makes a huge difference when you are looking at 3+ hours on the trigger, carrying multiple stages and scooters, etc. cannot be properly conveyed on a list. Plus the people at that level don't need a list. Everyone likes to pretend their diving is different. It isn't. The only difference is when those of us that primarly cave dive go open water diving in cold water we add a lift bag and get to carry less gear.

Thanks, RTodd.

FWIW, I'm not only far from deep water, I'm far from anything remotely DIR (LDS, training, mentors, etc.). SB and TDS are my only real resources outside of Jarrod's book (and maybe "Dress for Success") and my as-yet-unscheduled DIR-F class in Florida.

Dress for Success and the DIR-F book are a good start, but nothing beats getting the right information from the horse's mouth and just take a DIR-F course, with a real live GUE instructor, not on the Internet.

artw:
Dress for Success and the DIR-F book are a good start, but nothing beats getting the right information from the horse's mouth and just take a DIR-F course, with a real live GUE instructor, not on the Internet.
Thanks for your concern. I'm not taking a DIR-F course on the Internet or anywhere else right now, I'm just trying to get the right equipment so it doesn't have to be replaced later. Scuba dollar priorities:
(1) BP/W (this is in progress)
(2) Drysuit
(3) Practice with (1) and (2)
(4) DIR-F (includes travel costs in addition to course fees).
(5) Proper light

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom