Question about finger spool and bolt snap.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pasadenatim

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm returning to diving after a while and recently completed AOW and have 110 logged dives. I've been researching wreck reels and SMB deployment. I'm planning on taking a line course through a local dive club but I just can't figure this one out. Maybe I'm overthinking. There is always mention of securing the line to the reel with the bolt snap. I understand making the loop to pass the reel through to make a secure connection, and the smaller loop for attaching the line to the bolt snap and then to a hole in the reel for storage etc. My question is after the SMB is deployed, or line let off the spool, how is the line then secured to the spool with the bolt snap to keep the line from further spooling off? Do you just wind the line around the bolt snap a few turns and then just clip it off? How is it "reeled back in with the bolt snap" I've heard mention of winding in the line with the bolt snap too. I've enjoyed the posts on this forum and learning from everyone. Thanks for any help and clarification on this.
Tim

If you have the line going through one of the bolt snap holes and then attach it to the rim of the spool, it can't unwind anymore.

Make sure the opening part faces out away from the spool, if that makes sense.

Like this.

CAM00015.jpg

It seems like my reel has too much line on it. The line covers the holes on the reel so I cannot clip on to them. Has anyone else had this problem? Should I just cut off some of the line?

It seems like my reel has too much line on it. The line covers the holes on the reel so I cannot clip on to them. Has anyone else had this problem? Should I just cut off some of the line?

Yes. I just removed enough line (I had it to spare) until I could clip the bolt without any problem.

another option is when winding up that last 20 feet or so to keep the line on one side of the spool, and freeing up some space on the other side to clip off. However, if the line approaches the outer limit of the spool, then it needs to be really tight to avoid unravelling (even when clipped off).

nimoh, hit the nail on the head. Simply wind the last few meters on one side, leaving some access to clip off on the other side.

Also, be aware of this:

The problem of 'spontaneous' detatchment (can happen even with a 'properly' stowed spool) can be solved though some creative adaption. This blog explains how: Narc'ed Diving: Finger Spool: Securing the Line

This is also a very good link, that shows uses and how to properly stow the snap/reel: Precision Diving ? Reviewing the Uses of a Finger Spool

Nice find Devon. Had that happen to me last time at the lake on my way out. Lucky for me, my spool fell right into a nice deep hole between the rocks so it was easy to find...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom