Question about Instruction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I decided to get certified. I purchase the PADI materials, and have been spending spare time learning. I've spent the past month leaning the material in the PADI OW book top to bottom, and then learning to use the wheel. I am just now getting to the point where all the terms, and concepts are becoming more instinctive.

Most classes EXPECT you to come on board with the book leaning done even if I seriously doubt most people take it very seriously. IMO diving is not something that one wants to just go start doing without a VERY clear understanding of just about EVERYTHING in that PADI book.

I have also been spending a lot of time lurking here, expecially in the accidents and incidents area. I'd MUCH rather learn from others bad experiences.

I just today went to the LDS that I plan on getting certified with. After a 30 minute tour of their facility (clean, friendly, and impressive setup) the guy giving me the tour asked what advanced certification class I was interested in. I said OW, and he said he thought I was certified based on my questions and knowledge. He then said it was refleshing to see someone show up that is taking this seriously, and indicated that many don't. He also said that some do NOT complete the classes on schedule due to their lack of homework prior to taking classes.

This program expects students to complete each section outside of class BEFORE showing up. The classroom part of this program is for quick review, and testing NOT to learn the material top to bottom. Since most EVERY LDS allocate the same amount of time to complete the couse (16 hours) I believe that most shops work this way.

Maybe he was just stroking me to get business, :crafty: but regardless, I think there is enough to go wrong in even an easy shallow OW dive that rushing is not the way to approach things.

My $.02 as a TOTAL newbie....

Ron

Yes, between Canyon and Lubbock. I think maybe you and I talked once about nothing to dive around here? I go to Santa Rosa NM when I can't do a trip for a few months.

Let us know who you find in Florida. I know a lot of the Key Largo operators pretty well, although I don't know their instructing.

You're right - in your case, it's not worth "wasting your time" on a full class. If you go into it with the attitude that you already know everything, you will learn nothing anyway, so you might as well just go someplace warm to buy that card via a weekend resort course.

PADI and most other organizations don't require any shop affiliation to teach. Some do...SDI, if I got the initials right, does, I'm pretty sure. If you get an instructor outside of the shop, be sure that he/she's "valid" to teach....their Instructor card should have a little gold sticker on it saying "valid to teach for 2004" or something like that. There've been cases where former instructors, without insurance taught classes, took the money, and then took off....generally the temporary card (if received) isn't valid and the student's basically out of luck. Like most people said, a private class probably won't be very cheap....but if you have everything but the checkout dives done, you should be able to get a referral from your previous shop, and just doing the 4 dives with the private instructor might be a lot cheaper (it would be if you came to Guam and *I* did it, ha ha)....

That's the best/cheapest option I can think of, if you don't need to re-do the academics & confined water....no need (if you're comfortable with your skills) to do/pay for all that again. By the way, how does someone without a diving certification manage to get in 200+ posts?? I'm impressed :)

In Denver private instruction is $350 per person, and that inclues confined water and classes only. OW certification is based on where one goes as there is little in the area in the way of good dive spots for OW certs, but it runs an additional $200 here for Blue Hole, or the Crater in UT (not including travel, and expenses). I'm going to to a referral, and do my OW dives in FL, or somewhere nice.

My cousin is a Marine Biologist in FL who (surprise) dives, and based on talks with her I can do complete OW certification there for a bit over $200. Unfortunately the area she is in now is a bit of a huge mess (Ft. Pierce) and I'm not sure FL in general is a place where one wants to vacation at this exact moment as those pesky storms seem to be stiring things up a bit.

Ron

medic_diver45:
For most people this would pose a problem, but I, as I have stated before, have taken the class before and did not finish the checkout dives due to a broken right leg courtesy of a car accident. I wouldn't mind taking four or five days worth of practical training, actual in water time, but spending two days of that in the classroom is of little benefit, especially with a week before you apply it (which is just about long enough for most people to forget it)

Have you contacted the LDS where you started the OW course and see if they are willing to give you a "referral?" That way you only have to do a pool course (as a refresher and to make sure your skills are up to par) and perhaps a quick classroom refresher before doing OW. It'll save you a lot of time and some money.

Snowbear:
You're right - in your case, it's not worth "wasting your time" on a full class. If you go into it with the attitude that you already know everything, you will learn nothing anyway, so you might as well just go someplace warm to buy that card via a weekend resort course.

Did I say I know EVERYTHING already? I stated I had taken the course before. Don't put words in my mouth. I will work just as hard as anyone else to pass the class, just because I have a background in working with compressed gases and human physiology, I am not going to learn anything from the academic side of things, it'll be a review for me.

But I lack practical open water dive experience which is the whole point of the class. I'm not "buying" a card more than anyone else does. I have to jump (or swim) through the same hoops you did to earn your card. I am going to be taking the full OW course, not some resort class for tourists from a dive shop, not some resort. Besides the point, any resort has to meet the same standards as any other site accredited by a given agency.

I will walk away from the class with an understanding of how to dive safely, something I to date have not had the chance to prove that I can do. Obviously you need to learn to watch what you say and to whom you say it. I may be a new diver, but I am not one that will stand by and allow myself to be chastised because of the misgivings of someone who doesn't know me from Adam.

I tried the referral route....since the class was more than 1 year ago, it's no longer valid according to the instructor.

By the way, I apologize to everyone for my scolding of Snowbear on his/her apparent lack of manners. I didn't mean to lose my temper and become beligerent....that never solves anything. I was trying to make a point and I guess I got a little overzealous in doing so (it happens to the best of us :wink: and to people like me :p ) If you give me a chance, you'll learn that once you get to know me I am actually pretty easygoing....a little high-strung at times, but most of the time I don't get easily fired up.

Don, the reason I asked where in TX you were from, is that my fiancee and I are looking at possibly moving to Canyon after she graduates so that I can finish my degree at the college there. Is it a nice town? Contact me via private message if you like.

So, you have a temper problem, too, eh? You'll good at apologies here. I have.

medic_diver45:
Don, the reason I asked where in TX you were from, is that my fiancee and I are looking at possibly moving to Canyon after she graduates so that I can finish my degree at the college there. Is it a nice town? Contact me via private message if you like.
Oh, I was thinking of another conversation, with a diver who used to live there. Yeah, it's a nice town to live in - polite West Texans and all. 15 minute drive to Amarillo if you want to look for social activities. Don't know anything about the Univ, but I guess you do. Minimum 2 plane rides to good diving, like I am.

It wasn't delivered with anger....it was just a blunt statement. I just realized that it may have been taken out of context. I don't get angry often, cause it doesn't do anything. But I will apologize when I am wrong....my parents (and grandfather) taught me that much.

Back
Top Bottom