Question about maximum depth???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcm996:
Also depending on what tables or computers you use a non decompression dive to 170 is 5-10 min at depth. And even a 15 min dive only puts you on 5-10 min of stops. I don't have my tables with me right now. And lets say i'm not at home :)

There is no such thing as a "non decompression dive" to 170'. You need to get some training and quit thinking your an expert because you've made a few bounce dives past the "recreational limits", because your going to get yourself hurt.

boomx5:
There is no such thing as a "non decompression dive" to 170'. You need to get some training and quit thinking your an expert because you've made a few bounce dives past the "recreational limits", because your going to get yourself hurt.

well said. just becasue you do bounce dives doesnt mean your qualified to dive that deep. bounce dives can often lead to a false sense of security and competence

jonnythan:
Obviously *you* have the skill and training to deal with this sort of emergency.

However, the original poster appears to be diving to 150' on air on a single tank with no training.. quite a different situation compared to you doing it on doubles with training and probably trimix.

This is why I specifically proposed the question to the original poster, and not someone with the proper training. He does not seem to have sufficient training or gear to conduct this type of dive, and I posed the question to get him to think about what would happen in this sort of situation.

jonnythan,

We're on the same page about your question. Sorry, maybe I should have waited a little longer.

Boondocks posted this the night before and had not replied after many comments, (still hasn't), so I thought I'd put up an answer that brought up preplanning and redundant gear.

Interestingly, he posted this on Spearboard too, (with no reply), and has had only 5 responses. It's a smaller board, but it looks like it confirms my belief that to many spearfishers mid range depths are not as big an issue. Probably partly due to fewer divers with little experience and probably more divers with less advanced training.

Just for clarity, I rarely use doubles for this depth, more often a 100 or 120 with an h-valve, and usually just lean nitrox until 6 atm. I believe spearfishing is a sport that requires minimalism. Like Nissan says, "Everything you need, nothing you don't!"

Chad

Spoon:
i should have been clear. in the philippines, most spearfishing fatalities occured when the spearfishermen dove deep on air and never came back. its documented and i know of at least 10 cases in the last 5 years. if you want i can pm you the reports.

So you are basing your assertion on what you have seen or heard about and not any real statistics. 10 accidents in 5 years may or may not comprise "most" accidents. Although you want to make a point so you say "most".

Please PM me the reports they may make for interesting reading.

perpet1:
I thought it was 83.2%....

I believe it's 100% of the statistics that make ones point are made up on the spot:)

partridge:
Here in the bottom of the Philippines we only have air. Majority of the Phils actually is air diving. It is also deep diving. I have never said "going deep on air is stupid".

That said, when I go deep on air, I am focused on myself. I get narced and feel it lots of times. What worries me is if you are engaged in some other activity and will not feel it because you are so focused on that. Isnt that how narcosis works? You will be so focused on getting that big fish you will forget about your air or NDL? Then you start breathing hard. And next......

I'm not familiar with the geography of the philippines, but I do know there are more than a few people regularly diving Trimix and Rebreathers in the philippines..
I know several of our ANDI isnstructors have pretty much switched over to trimix for most dives...

Thanks for all the advice ya'll. It sounds like the house is definitely divided but I definitely got my opinions. I am going to restrict myself to 140 fsw and I do have a 19cf pony for all who are interested. I will refrain from commenting too much on some of the suggestions because it seems that I will be condemned by some no matter what I say, but the fact remains that I did get my question answered. Outside of running out of air, being narced (whether or not I know it) and doing something stupid, or staying too long, there is nothing that I have not taken into account for diving deep. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions on how to bring my little girls Daddy home every time. The realization that you all just want to keep a fellow diver safe was not lost on me. God Bless!

Dave

padiscubapro:
I'm not familiar with the geography of the philippines, but I do know there are more than a few people regularly diving Trimix and Rebreathers in the philippines..
I know several of our ANDI isnstructors have pretty much switched over to trimix for most dives...

Yes. There are some tech groups in Manila and Subic with trimix. I am trying to get one instructor down here for our Scubafest to be our guest speaker this year. Even in Cebu, there is nitrox available but it is really slow in taking off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom