Question about maximum depth???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoon:
i agree with you 100%. more than 95% of the divers here no nothing but air.

So the fatalities may have had nothing to do with air. If almost everyone only uses air then those who died of course were on air. What statistic shows that they would have lived had they used something other than air?

gcbryan:
So the fatalities may have had nothing to do with air. If almost everyone only uses air then those who died of course were on air. What statistic shows that they would have lived had they used something other than air?

they could have died becasue they were so narced and failed to react properly to whatever impending situation or they could have run out of air. there are too many factors at that depth to risk diving it on air, especially trying to spearfish. why risk it when you can make the above so much safer by adding another gas to the equation?

the risks are far to great imho and although many people do this doesnt mean its safe and such.

There is nothing wrong with going 150+ on air. As long as you have a pony. In this area it is not oncommon for experinced divers to go down 200 on air in doubles or a 108 and a 40 pony. (And it is not to just dive deep, it is to dive the wrecks) Personally I have only gone as deep as 165 so far. But it is all comfort level of the diver and equiptment. I would recommend you get comfortable going down 100, then 120 then 150 not just going deep quick.

Also depending on what tables or computers you use a non decompression dive to 170 is 5-10 min at depth. And even a 15 min dive only puts you on 5-10 min of stops. I don't have my tables with me right now. And lets say i'm not at home :)

I am not nitrox certified, but I thought I read or was told that you can only use it down to 100 feet. Then it is more dangerous than air. Have I been missinfomed? The nearest Nitrox fill is a 40 minute drive from me so I see no need to get certified on it yet.

jcm996:
There is nothing wrong with going 150+ on air. As long as you have a pony. In this area it is not oncommon for experinced divers to go down 200 on air in doubles or a 108 and a 40 pony. (And it is not to just dive deep, it is to dive the wrecks) Personally I have only gone as deep as 165 so far. But it is all comfort level of the diver and equiptment. I would recommend you get comfortable going down 100, then 120 then 150 not just going deep quick.

Also depending on what tables or computers you use a non decompression dive to 170 is 5-10 min at depth. And even a 15 min dive only puts you on 5-10 min of stops. I don't have my tables with me right now. And lets say i'm not at home :)

I am not nitrox certified, but I thought I read or was told that you can only use it down to 100 feet. Then it is more dangerous than air. Have I been missinfomed? The nearest Nitrox fill is a 40 minute drive from me so I see no need to get certified on it yet.

Less than 50 dives, and you've "only" gone to 165 feet ... on air ... and "only" doing 5-10 minute decompression stops ...

... and what if something doesn't go according to plan ???

I'm sure you don't see anything wrong with it. But that's not because you've been misinformed ... it's because you haven't been informed at all. Sorry, no offense ... I just don't believe you understand the risks you're taking. Perhaps, a couple hundred dives from now, you'll look back and realize how lucky you were.

In the meantime, please consider taking a course that's designed to teach you about managing the risks inherent in dives of this nature.

Under those conditions, ignorance can kill you rather quickly ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Spoon:
they could have died becasue they were so narced and failed to react properly to whatever impending situation or they could have run out of air. there are too many factors at that depth to risk diving it on air, especially trying to spearfish. why risk it when you can make the above so much safer by adding another gas to the equation?

the risks are far to great imho and although many people do this doesnt mean its safe and such.

A bit of a stray from topic here but there are commercial spear fishemen in the Philippines using "huka" style, where a compressor on the boat is pumping air down to divers through a hose......deep, to divers who have no idea about decompression theory except that a high number of men in their villages are crippled or dead.

Hank49:
A bit of a stray from topic here but there are commercial spear fishemen in the Philippines using "huka" style, where a compressor on the boat is pumping air down to divers through a hose......deep, to divers who have no idea about decompression theory except that a high number of men in their villages are crippled or dead.

true, true in the poor fishing villages. this style along with the muro ami style ( using children to spearfish on breatholds) is very prevalent. many deaths occur every year and most of them are not reported. its a fact of life down here. sad but true.

I think the key element in all to-the-limit diving lies not in successful repetitions but in true understanding of the risk factors.

If you thoroughly understand these - and your counter procedures are fresh in your mind, it's acceptable in my book.

The individual difficulty lies in understanding when you are truly qualified for a certain dive.

Santa

Santa:
I think the key element in all to-the-limit diving lies not in successful repetitions but in true understanding of the risk factors.

Well stated ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

72.6% of all statistics are made up on the spot.....

Back
Top Bottom