Question about wetsuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JagNation

Reaction score
Had a question... Im new to diving and I plan on going quite a few dives this summer. I live in Florida so I will be diving in springs, the keys, and off the coast of Jax. I was wondering if I should get a wetsuit? Or if I would be fine just going in a swim suit and a rashguard? Or should I purchase I dive skin? Just wondering which would be better. But if I go without a wetsuit do I still need to wear gloves (I know its a silly question but I just dont want to screw up). Oh, and if it matters Im not super skinny and dont get cold easily...

Everyone's need for thermal protection is different so hard for anyone to answer this for you. But even though you say you don't get cold easily, the water still sucks heat out of you. People who live in a warm climate are likely to need something more there than someone who visits there from a colder climate. And AFAIK the springs are not all that warm, more like low 70s year round, unlike the ocean which will warm up in the summer. I couldn't see doing that in a bathing suit.

There are other reasons to wear a full suit of some sort, namely protection from abrasion and stinging critters.

As far as gloves, whether you wear them has nothing to do with whether you're wearing a wetsuit. You wear them if you really need the thermal or abrasion protection, and they're allowed where you're diving.

Last edited:
Dove in Florida a few years ago and froze my bipp off. I'd suggest at least a 3mm. Maybe go for a 5mm body with 3mm extremities.

Although, if you can stand the cold, for comfort purposes, I'd suggest a full body skin. I wear a Henderson full body skin and it keeps me just warm enough in 82+ degree waters. It also eliminates the stress of possibly being stung/bitten.

As far as gloves, whether you wear them has nothing to do do with whether you're wearing a wetsuit. You wear them if you really need the thermal or abrasion protection, and they're allowed where you're diving.

I concur. My only criticism of gloves is that it makes you careless and sloppy, because you can grab things without risk of marine life defending themselves. I actually prefer diving in marine parks that ban them. If a photographer is wearing gloves, I try not too look their way for fear of what I know will inevitably happen.

Dove in Florida a few years ago and froze my bipp off. I'd suggest at least a 3mm. Maybe go for a 5mm body with 3mm extremities.

Although, if you can stand the cold, for comfort purposes, I'd suggest a full body skin. I wear a Henderson full body skin and it keeps me just warm enough in 82+ degree waters. It also eliminates the stress of possibly being stung/bitten.

Ill definetly look into the Henderson. Are their anyother brands tha that would recommend? Also, should I get a dive hood? Or is it necessary?

Yes, "cold" is a personal thing. For me in N. FL a shortie would be good most of the year, and a body suit good for a big chunk of the year--and with that your arms & legs are protected from stings/scrapes. Maybe in Jan./Feb. I'd need something warmer. Think I would use reef gloves year round there--in the hot months for protection only.

again, only you can answer if it's necessary - but if you can dive in a bathing suit or dive skin, you certainly don't need a hood. It's actually not that common to see people wearing hoods in warmer waters. You might see neoprene beanies or various head wraps, and often it's as much for hair control as warmth. (Personally I hate hoods and don't dive anyplace anymore I would actually need one - I wouldn't go out of my way to wear one!)

Did you get certified at home? I'm surprised your class didn't cover a bit more about local exposure protection needs.

I am pretty sure that I injured myself every time I went snorkelling
with only half a wetsuit and my up top lack of circulation causes an
ice cream freeze, at just the thought of no hood. I also concur with
the concurrer in relation to gloves, and found out early in my foray
into this challenging passion, that is the road to lightning buoyancy
is much hastened without the crutch of gloves so much so that even
when required for thermal protection, I cut off the fingers to combat
temptation, and for dexterity.

These days, it's just bumps and bruises, and twists and sprains

Did you get certified at home? I'm surprised your class didn't cover a bit more about local exposure protection needs.[/QUOTE]

I get certified this weekend! Just looking ahead to things I should be getting. I read the manual, but I need to look it over again before saturday.

As has been noted, everyone's tolerance for cold varies, but based on my 35+ years of diving in North Florida, you are going to need at least a 3mm for most of the diving you do. In the Gulf or one of the rivers I get by in the summer with a shorty 3mm, but in the winter or in the one of the springs I have a semi-dry, 7mm farmer john with an integral hood on the upper, and need every bit of it.
My wife is less cold tolerant than I and wears a full 7mm almost all the time.

I generally don't wear gloves unless I'm handling a lot of rock and rubble during a springs cleanup.

Back
Top Bottom