Question after watching "Openwater" and "USS Indianapolis"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This falls under "things that make you go Hmmm."
I think it was Mythbusters that experimented with sharks in a tank, dripping different kinds of blood in to see the sharks' reactions. I think they tried some cow blood, and got no reaction. Then I think one of them cut his finger and dripped it into the tank and again, got no reaction from the sharks.
But when they dripped some fish blood into the tank, the sharks did seem to get excited.
So as I'm watching this and drinking my protein shake and popping supplements in preparation for my workout, I realize one of the supplements I take a lot of is ......FISH OIL.

Hmmm.

fishoutawater:
I realize one of the supplements I take a lot of is ......FISH OIL.

*note to self*

fishoutawater would make great shark decoy... er... dive buddy

:14:

H2Andy:
*note to self*

fishoutawater would make great shark decoy... er... dive buddy

:14:

Great idea Andy. Maybe you'll get to see my impersonation of a scared squid.

This is one of the funniest threads I have read in a long time. You guys crack me up. Thanks for the laughs this morning. I needed it after finding out that my weekend diving plans had to be canceled. At least I will not have to worry about the sharks, well the sharks in the water anyway.

>(LF))>

bubblemonkey:
I think the implication is that the bear was hunting by cutting across switchbacks (a road that shifts left then right to negotiate a very steep hill) and seeing if he/she could find something yummy wandering down the road.
This would be similar to the one used as my icon which had successfully attacked one pickup and was now chasing the one from which the picture was taken. The said pickup was traveling in reverse at a high rate of speed after luring the bear away from it's initial target. The first pickup lost the fight being rendered immobile. It seems this young grizzly boar was a little upset at the time. True story.

landlocked:
I think the implication is that the bear was hunting by cutting across switchbacks (a road that shifts left then right to negotiate a very steep hill) and seeing if he/she could find something yummy wandering down the road.
This would be similar to the one used as my icon which had successfully attacked one pickup and was now chasing the one from which the picture was taken. The said pickup was traveling in reverse at a high rate of speed after luring the bear away from it's initial target. The first pickup lost the fight being rendered immobile. It seems this young grizzly boar was a little upset at the time. True story.

LOL, no, the implication is that everything you do has some danger to it. "Bushwhacking "is what some hikers call the action of cutting across the switchbacks. Switchbacks are S shaped trails up and down steep slopes. It is frowned upon because it damages the trails and causes erosion. Obviously bears don't care about the environment. The bear was cutting acros the switchbacks from berry patch to berry patch and should I have been there moments earlier he likely would have had a nice tasty human meal!!! Thus my point, if a shark decides to eat you, go down fighting, die with your boots on, what elese can you do, your number is up--as super unlikely as it is --it could happen but I doubt it. N

wait a minute... wait a minute...

so now bears are attacking divers?

man, this sucks! this is like someone coming out and saying sharing needles could give you HIV. i mean, that would really be bad news!

but i digress

H2Andy:
wait a minute... wait a minute...

so now bears are attacking divers?

man, this sucks!
Only polar bears. They think that holes cut in the ice are seal breath holes. Thats why I never ice dive. Oh.. also maybe those big Kodiaks if you happen to be diving in a salmon run.

The main lesson I learned from renting Open Water & watching it is that I should never, ever, EVER waste my time & money doing that again.

What an utterly lousy movie. Someone deserves a bullet & a beatdown for fostering that piece of crud on us.

Back
Top Bottom