Question for DIRF Students

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's all about the center of gravity of the diver, elongating the body, and being streamlined. The grasping of the hands is something that I was taught in DIRF to help me learn the horizontal, legs bent position and to help me get used to working with my center of gravity without using my hands for buoyancy. I've seen more experinced DIR divers who continue to grasp their hands (just because they are more comfortable that way) and some who do not. Either way, the same elongated, streamlined position is maintained. But grasping the hands never takes priority over effectively using equipment like lights, scooters, and SPGs.

Jennifer

Like I said before, training wheels.

I have perfect trim, but never need to "elongate" my body.

My hands are where they need to be, and my legs are bent.
I was more elongated in my stroke days, legs out straight arms flailing.

Alright, I'll give you the real answer, since nobody else will.

All through the DIRF class, the divers are praying that the video camera is pointing at someone else. They are so stressed out in the class that this posture beomes involuntarily imprinted on their brains and is expressed whenever they go diving again.

So, they may look calm and collected as they hover motionlessly in the water, but their inner child is in never ending torment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom