Question for ladies who wear wings ......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've tried out the Halcyon Exclipse and I didn't have any discomfort in my chest, and I too am a little top heavy.

You're diving wet? Try X-shorts. That's what I use when I dive wet. They have bellows pockets on both thighs, and that's the perfect place to put your small SMB and spools. The flashlight can be clipped to one of the chest D-rings, and secured against the harness in a loop of inner tube.

The big SMB can be clipped to your butt D-ring or bungied to the bottom of the plate.

The battery pack for your vest may be able to slide onto the waist strap on the right side, particularly if you are not carrying canister light.

I clip a camera off to the left chest D-ring, and if it's a big camera, it's a good idea to have it secured a second time to the crotch D-ring as well, so it doesn't bang around.

I'm with you -- I hate danglies.

Tobin with DSS has plates sized for different heights.

I will echo this -- Tobin at DeepSeaSupply would be willing to help you out with different sized backplates.

Tobin's smallest backplate is "amazingly comfortable" according to my girlfriend, who is on the smaller end of the scale. She originally had issues with Halcyon and DiveRite plates digging into her lower back.

all of my diving is with a dry suit - I even take my dry suit overseas with me
however, I'm buying a wet suit for Turks and Caicos for four weeks time

So, may things can go wrong with a dry suit on a liveaboard - as I discovered last year in Galapagos

The flashlight can be clipped to one of the chest D-rings, and secured against the harness in a loop of inner tube.

I hadn't thought of this (securing it with tubing/ bungee) - yes, I will definately try it

The big SMB can be clipped to your butt D-ring or bungied to the bottom of the plate.

I don't have a butt ring, I could add one, but I'm not sure I'll be able to reach it easily - I'm not so flexible in a dry suit
I plan to bungy it to the lower left of the back plate - I can reach that OK

This is a really good website - thanks

I'm not in the US, well I will be in Miami airport for 6 hours in 4 weeks
I'll look into this if I don't get on with the standard size OMS ali which I have ordered

I will echo this -- Tobin at DeepSeaSupply would be willing to help you out with different sized backplates.

Well, if you're diving dry, put some pockets on your dry suit. It's not difficult to do, although it's worth reading about the procedure so you do the prep properly. And one has to realize that pockets which are only glued will slowly but inexorably peel at the corners. (After two goes, I eventually got mad and sent my suit in to have them sewn and sealed, but one doesn't have to do this. They work okay when a bit peeled, they just look tacky.)

Well, if you're diving dry, put some pockets on your dry suit. It's not difficult to do, although it's worth reading about the procedure so you do the prep properly. And one has to realize that pockets which are only glued will slowly but inexorably peel at the corners. (After two goes, I eventually got mad and sent my suit in to have them sewn and sealed, but one doesn't have to do this. They work okay when a bit peeled, they just look tacky.)

Peeling pocket corners are the reason our pockets feature an over sized panel to interface with the exposure suit.

By extending the panel that glues to the suit beyond the "foot print" of the pocket itself, the adhesive is loaded in "shear" and not "peel"

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=122

Tobin

small spools cdan be put in your thigh pockets, if you don't have them, you'll want to get them added, there are no pockets with your new set up. my reels I put on the D ring that hangs below your gear on your back side. my lights, 2 of them, I have one on each of my shoulders straps just below the D rings and held on by a thick rubber band.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom