Question for the DM's & Instructors who dive DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It has everything to do with your training.
If your not willing to accept the answers, dont ask the question.
Jeeze, I was just trying to give you my honest opinion, and you got all defensive.
Wont happen again.........

Well, as a DM...I damn well better be able to help out while I wear what I want. I have made my gear choices b/c they are what I feel is the best gear config available to me. That being said, I don't go into a class and look to disrupt it by saying XYZ...I'm just there as a DM to offer my opinions and experience to the students. Now, I by no means have a hogarthian rig....or even a long hose for the reg I use in classes yet, but eventually I will, and the students will see it. I am fairly confident that the instructors I help out with are going to be more than open to letting me dive the rig I am most comfortable in for a number of reasons. 1 - for the students to get more experience and see different things. 2 - the class, or more specifcally, the students I am doing drills with, will be safer b/c I won't have to guess where my gear is b/c I had to change it from what I normally use. 3 - I don't act like a high and mighty all-knowing Scuba Diver...I have seen a some DMs act this way, and all they do is end up getting themselves caught in a ball of wax that they started rolling and can't get out of.

Aquamaniac once bubbled...
It has everything to do with your training.
If your not willing to accept the answers, dont ask the question.
Jeeze, I was just trying to give you my honest opinion, and you got all defensive.
Wont happen again.........

You didn't give me an answer you told me to not worry about it till I understand the philosophy and the concept of DIR and once I do I can incorporate that into classes without anyone knowing...How does that help me with my question? I'm not defensive by any means Just wanting thoughts to my question thats all..If I came across defensive I apologize and that wasn't my intention...

Brandon

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
Well, as a DM...I damn well better be able to help out while I wear what I want. I have made my gear choices b/c they are what I feel is the best gear config available to me. That being said, I don't go into a class and look to disrupt it by saying XYZ...I'm just there as a DM to offer my opinions and experience to the students. Now, I by no means have a hogarthian rig....or even a long hose for the reg I use in classes yet, but eventually I will, and the students will see it. I am fairly confident that the instructors I help out with are going to be more than open to letting me dive the rig I am most comfortable in for a number of reasons. 1 - for the students to get more experience and see different things. 2 - the class, or more specifcally, the students I am doing drills with, will be safer b/c I won't have to guess where my gear is b/c I had to change it from what I normally use. 3 - I don't act like a high and mighty all-knowing Scuba Diver...I have seen a some DMs act this way, and all they do is end up getting themselves caught in a ball of wax that they started rolling and can't get out of.

Well put Big-t

sheck33 once bubbled...
i have been honest to them, i either dive that setup and help with the class or i will not do it at all.

A perfect description of "Option 1"

Blue Water: Re-read you Padi Manual. I'm sure there is a reference in there to donating out of the mouth and switching to an "Air2" for an octo.

Its all shades of gray, you just lean towards the side you think is better for the student.

I just audited a PADI Rescue diver class with all, but one, student in a Dir gear config. We added a section to the class to discuss removing a back plate and harness rig from an injured diver. 3 harness cuts with a sea snips and the harness falls right off.

If you have you are OW certified with a DIR rig, you will want to find an instructor who dives the same way and you'll get a lot more out of the class. All the DIR-F instructors also teach for rec agencies.

As to the first part of your question. I have my Padi DM and I have assisted in only one class. I wouldn't kneal on the sand to demostrate skills! So I said no thanks. I also won't work on boats off FTL because DM's solo dive to tie/untie wrecks.

DM is worthless, I wish I saved the money. If you want to stay focused on DIR, go to rescue, take DIR-F, round up some like minded buddies,charter boats and then you can dictate how you want to dive.

Life is filled with choices.

--Matt

Blue Space once bubbled...

Well put Big-t

ahh...the blind squirrel finds a nut every now and again...that was my first post of value today....I wasa beginning to think I would be drinking all day.

You said

"I would like to DM soon and was wondering how you guy's handle the situation..."

You were certified last February, and only have 38 dives under your belt.
My point was, you have a ways to go before you will be ready to be a DM (IMHO).
By reading some of your other posts, you seem to be interested in DIR.
So to answer you question....."I was wondering how you handle it"........
My Instructor, who is as DIR as you can get, also teaches OW classes, but she incorporates DIR philosophy into her teachings.

Once you understand the philosophy, and I dont mean what you read on the net, and you also have experience under your belt, you too will be able to do the same thing.........

The Direct Answer perhaps should of been...........
"Some instructors do a bit of both"
I was just trying to elaborate a bit more than that.

When I DM , I wear what the instructor want's me to wear. I carry a snorkel because it's a skill in the class. I wear a jacket BC because that's what the students are wearing. They need to concentrate on the instructor and doing the skills, not be asking me questions about what's the long hose for. It's not my place. If the instructor wants to show them a wings setup, then I'll model it, otherwise I try to blend in with the students and be helpfull.

Aquamaniac once bubbled...
You said

"I would like to DM soon and was wondering how you guy's handle the situation..."

You were certified last February, and only have 38 dives under your belt.
My point was, you have a ways to go before you will be ready to be a DM (IMHO).
By reading some of your other posts, you seem to be interested in DIR.
So to answer you question....."I was wondering how you handle it"........
My Instructor, who is as DIR as you can get, also teaches OW classes, but she incorporates DIR philosophy into her teachings.

Once you understand the philosophy, and I dont mean what you read on the net, and you also have experience under your belt, you too will be able to do the same thing.........
Your right I did say DM soon...Should of said next couple of yrs..Yes I do have a long way to go a very long way..

Your right I am very interested in DIR and the DIR philosophy..

Can't wait to start my AOW this Saturday...I wonder if my instructor would call himself DIR...Stephen you there?

Well, with a bit of luck, you wont want to be a PADI/NAUI DM in a few years, and you will be striving toward becoming a GUE Instructor:D
At least your starting out on the right foot.....

Back
Top Bottom