Question for the DM's & Instructors who dive DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquamaniac once bubbled...

Mgri.
DIR doesnt have to be realated to Tech diving in any way, shape or form. 2 Of my friends dive DIR and have NO aspirations of ever going "tech"

Maybe I didn't state it correctly but from what I understand, DIR was created to address the failings of students in tech 1 and cave 1 whom didn't have the basic fundamentals to complete those classes.

Not a tech class per say but created to give aspiring tech students good fundamentals.

Of course, those of us who are rec and have heard how beneficial the class is have started taking it in droves.... I know I want to take it
:)

mgri once bubbled...

Maybe I didn't state it correctly but from what I understand, DIR was created to address the failings of students in tech 1 and cave 1 whom didn't have the basic fundamentals to complete those classes.

Not a tech class per say but created to give aspiring tech students good fundamentals.

Of course, those of us who are rec and have heard how beneficial the class is have started taking it in droves.... I know I want to take it
DIRF classes were created to prepare students for Tech and Cave classes, now they are evolving into much more than just class prep.
DIR was created for differant reasons......Actually DIR wasnt really created either, it too was an evolution.

Hey Brandon,

I've been through DIRF and am currently doing a PADI DM course. The shop I go through doesn't prohibit or encourage any type of configuration, however you do need to be able to demonstrate the skills.

So, for confined water I just use the shop's gear. First of all it keeps my gear out of the chlorine and I don't have a bunch of wet gear in my car. Also, I can demonstrate the skills that are taught. However, the instrutor I work with does tell the students that there are many different configurations which would require different ways of dealing with an OOA, such as a Hog/DIR configuration or when someone has an BC integrated alternate reg such as an Air II or an Octo+ both of which require donating the primary reg. My shop sells tech gear such as Dive Rite and OMS and also sells the integrated alternate regs.

In open water, I use my bp/wings.

Tony

DIRF classes were created to prepare students for Tech and Cave classes, now they are evolving into much more than just class prep.
DIR was created for differant reasons......Actually DIR wasnt really created either, it too was an evolution.

Right, my point was that DIR WAS started to PREPARE rec divers for tech diving.

It has involved it seems to more of an advanced rec class because that's the kind of divers that were taking it. (talking out my butt here)

My initial point to his question was that since it was geared to wanabe tech divers it isn't hypocritical for someone who has taken DIRF to not follow it to the letter if he/she were engaged in rec diving or training.

Maybe we are just disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing

I agree.........

LOL, Im having a bad day, this thread is a good distraction!

Yea, it's eating up my work day quit nicely...=-)

mgri once bubbled...

Right, my point was that DIR WAS started to PREPARE rec divers for tech diving.

It has involved it seems to more of an advanced rec class because that's the kind of divers that were taking it. (talking out my butt here)

My initial point to his question was that since it was geared to wanabe tech divers it isn't hypocritical for someone who has taken DIRF to not follow it to the letter if he/she were engaged in rec diving or training.

Maybe we are just disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing

I think you may be getting DIR and DIRF confused. DIR is the approach to diving and the DIRF course is the class that teached it. DIR was around way before the class was.

mgri once bubbled...

Wannabe tech divers or rec divers looking to learn different skills and techniques that weren't offered in previous training?

Blue Space once bubbled...

Wannabe tech divers or rec divers looking to learn different skills and techniques that weren't offered in previous training?
Not differant....better:wink:

I think this would be a good question for mhk to chime in on or mike ferrara. The point of this question is not the dir philosophy, the point is as a dm how do you demonstrate sharing air the "padi way", while wearing a hogarthian rig. And if hog/dir is "the only way" to dive, then why would you compromise your beliefs to work on teaching a class a different way? Imho a divers thought process is much more important than the gear.

Back
Top Bottom