Question for the Full Frame users: which WA lens is best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChristineAlbanese

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm quite experienced in photography top-side however I am a relatively new diver and my little compact camera that i took along for dives just doesn't do it for me. So I've decided to gather equipment to start shooting with a DSLR.

I have been using a Canon 7D top-side and have recently decided to go full frame to get the most out of my diving experience - I just purchased a 6D. I have also purchased a canon 100mm f2.8 macro lens since this seems to be the favourite amongst most UW macro photographers - however I am rather stumped about what kind of wide angle lens to get for my full frame? I will be using ikelite equipment FYI.

Some people say the Canon 8-15 fisheye is great but that you still have to be pretty close to your subject - it also creates circular photos from 8-10mm - so I'm not too sure how I feel about this.

I was maybe looking at the 17-40, however reviews on this lens show that it only tends to stay sharp in the centre - the edges get kind of muddy

the canon 16-35 II would have been ideal but ikelite apparently doesn't make a port for it and the 16-35 I (it's predecessor) was not a good lens at all.

So now I don't know what to do :/ some insight and personal experience with WA lenses on a full frame would be great. I know people keep talking about the tokina 10-17 fisheye but its only for crop sensor... Any other brands that have a worthy WA lens?

Thanks in advance!

I shoot both the 17-40 and the 15mm Canon. While both are great, the 15 mm takes the cake. As you mentioned, the 17-40 gets a little soft around the edges. This is really noticeable while shooting video. The 15mm is very fast. The only real draw back is you need to get really close for a great image. I also prefer video through the 15mm. I don't have any experience with the 8-15 but I cant imagine that it's not as sharp or as quick as the 15mm prime. I vote 15mm Canon!
Just fyi, get yourself a tripod. You can shoot some killer video with your 100mm:)

Thanks for your input! I haven't considered the 15mm fisheye... only because I am a little paranoid about the lack of zoom! I know macros are always fix lenses, but I was hoping to find a WA lens with a zoom - I like having the option of flexibility. I'll do a little more research and maybe rent it for a week or something and see how I feel about it. Thanks for sharing! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom