Question for the Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Hobster. (Preston) Good to see you've made it back to this board.
Your input will always be welcomed.
:sunny:

One of the classic postures for the Instructor during the CESA is to have have 3 fingers on the student's reg during ascent to "feel the ahh" sound; if they're "humming" then they are exhaling at a relaxed, yet constant rate. (The other hand is usuallly grasping one of the student's BC straps while using a leg wrap to control the line.)

And sorry to disagree, TexasMike, but PADI Standards clearly require a diver to exhale during CESA, both in confined and open water. There's really no way to "try to let the natually expanding air escape as they ascend". If the diver doesn't "ahhhhh" or "hummmm" they haven't performed the skill properly.

~SubMariner~

Thanks for explaining the "leg wrap" posture Submariner... I was seriously scratching my head over that one!

-kate

Am I understanding you guys? Now, I am not an instructor, so pardon my intrusion here...

When I got certed (OW), we were required to do the CESA from 25' AND (Greg, pardon my caps) it was done during Open Water Dive 3 AND my text book shows it as a requirement there.

My instructor followed me all the way up--cannot remember being leg locked--and watched to make certain I was forming bubbles on my lips. In fact, every time we took our regs out of our mouths--regardless of whether we were moving or stationary--we were supposed to blow bubbles. He insisted on this to get us in the habit.

So, my question is: didn't all of you have to do an OW CESA as part of your OW cert?

Joewr

All you PADI instructors have it easy! :^) Here's the NAUI ascent repertoire:

Each student has to do:
1 CESA
1 AAA as donor
1 AAA as receiver
1 rescue of diver off the bottom (10', done at the beach usually)

I use Nitrox, I keep it shallow, and spread the skills out over as many dives as possible. With NAUI or PADI the only skill I need to literally have my hands on is the CESA, but only the instructor can evaluate the other skills, too.

Neil

NAUI & PADI inst.

• Originally posted by SubMariner
    And sorry to disagree, TexasMike, but PADI Standards clearly require a diver to exhale during CESA, both in confined and open water. There's really no way to "try to let the natually expanding air escape as they ascend". If the diver doesn't "ahhhhh" or "hummmm" they haven't performed the skill properly.
No problem whatsoever providing correction on my statement with this. I'm still a relatively novice diver (don't consider myself to the intermediate until I broach the 100th dive and have done more deeper blue water trips) and have never had the chance to review any of the instructor materials, so I appreciate your input.

LOL! Did you read "leg wrap" and wonder if this was some kind of gimmic for reducing unsightly cellulite while underwater? :D

It sounds complicated, but the leg wrap is really the best way to control both a student AND the line while doing a CESA... because it leaves BOTH your hands free.

I guess it's second nature to me now since I use it both with Open Water students doing the skill and with IDC Candidates teaching them HOW to do it, that I hadn't thought about what people would think when they read that remark. Sorry for any confusion. :confused:

Take care, eh?!

~SubMariner~

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom