Question for the partial-DIR crowd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a rec diver - tech's coming, but not yet - my gear is almost completely DIR-compliant. I still have a couple hoses to resize, I use seacure mouthpieces, I use computers, and I have a large volume purge mask. I regard those as minor matters, though.

DIR is a holistic system, not just an equipment configuration. If you reject part of it, you effectively reject the system, I guess. I don't agree with DIR's stance on recreational solo diving, and even if I do my tech/cave certifications through GUE, I'll still dive a few treasured OW sites solo.

Ergo, I'm not DIR, nor will I ever truly be DIR.

metridium,

I still have a couple hoses to resize, I use seacure mouthpieces, I use computers, and I have a large volume purge mask.

would you essentially say that you have not reconfigured these pieces of equipment because of a) cost, b) preference, c) haven't done it yet, or d) don't consider it important?

I know you said you regard them as "minor matters", but I'm just needling you for a little more info.

Understood that adopting the DIR philosophy is more than just wearing the rig. I agree that it's a complete, holistic approach. I'm wondering why people adopt, say, a 75% DIR approach vs. going all the way. Most would answer "it's personal preference." I'm trying to determine what these "personal preferences" are for knowledge's sake.

Matt

xoomboy wrote...
metridium,
would you essentially say that you have not reconfigured these pieces of equipment because of a) cost, b) preference, c) haven't done it yet, or d) don't consider it important?
hoses - C (LDS put wrong size on SPG; 24" alternate hose seems too long, am using a 5' hose now)

mouthpieces - B/D (standard mouthpieces are miserable after an hour or so, let alone any time on a repetitive dive)

computers - will continue using recreationally; have to get a depth-timer and decoplanner for tech. Need one for longer rec dives, as I've discovered they stop displaying beyond 1:59. :(

mask - C

Feel free with any other questions.

P.S. Didn't realize this was in the tech forum when I posted (I read from New Posts, not by forum), or I wouldn't have, since I'm not a tech diver yet. Sorry for the intrusion.

My gear is close..

I only have one pocket on my wetsuit (but two on my drysuit)...no excuse there, just too lazy to put one on and I don't carry that many spares anyway.

I don't use DIR bottle marking (but I agree with it)...my LDSs require nitrox stickers and I won't have my own mixing station for quite a while.

I have a UK remora knife instead of the DIR knife...I like my knife and don't want to change it.

I have rockboots and don't want to change them...they work well since a lot of the quarries I frequent have very rocky entries.

I use a computer for recreational dives...too easy not to.

My skills are good...

My main deviation from DIR is in choice of dive buddies...I do not like option #1 (do not dive), so sometimes I dive with buddies who are not as squared away as my regular dive buddies. Sue me...I like being underwater too much...

Well lets see... I'm not totally DIR compliant as far as gear configuration goes but here's where I sit.
**I dive a Halcyon BP/Wing setup. I love it, I feel it's improved my diving and enjoyment over the regular BC.
**I dive with a 7 foot hose on my primary reg and my backup is bungeed around my neck. This totally makes sense to me and is very streamlined... I really like this configuration.
**I use a Suunto Vyper computer which I'm sure is a (rot your brain non-DIR no no) and it is bungeed on my right wrist. I'm not aware of any divers getting bent on recreational dives using the Vyper responsibly so it's good enough for me.
**I have a Suunto SK7 compass on my left wrist. This I really like because I don't have to hold the compass whether it be on a retractor or whatever and my hand is then left free.
**I have a plastic Suunto SPG with the plastic housing around it so that's non DIR of course. Would a brass SPG without the boot be better? Sure...but I didn't feel like spending the cash when the one I have works fine. When it craps out I'll upgrade and buy a brass one.
**I dive Mares Quattro fins with homemade spring straps instead of Jets or Turtles so they may not be DIR... not sure, but I don't care because the Quattros work fine for me.
**I don't have thigh pockets on my wetsuit (not worth spending the money to put em' on a wetsuit that's gonna wear out fast anyway IMO but I have the Halcyon harness pocket on the right side of waist which probably ain't DIR but it works and is awesome for securing the long hose. It's a little difficult to get things in and out of it but it can be done.
**I don't have a need for a canister light at the moment and can't afford one anyway so I use a UK C-8 primary light and a UK SL-4 backup light.
**I have a little Wenoka "squeeze lock" knife and some Mares shears on the left side of my harness belt. As far as I know these are ok for DIR.

-Super compressed neo drysuit, b/c warmer, more flexible and tougher material, fits better.
-Dump valve on upper left arm instead of wrist/lower arm, because I didn't know any better...
-Computer b/c I have had it for a few years, works just as well as a bottom timer and I can download my dives & profiles off it onto my electronic log book and upload to DAN for their research program and can record past 99 mins...
-Z knife on computer wristband b/c mostly run into mono line and this allows 1 handed deployment & cutting (or teeth) which is not as easy with a knife
-Use nostandard mixes sometimes (ex 60 ft dive I might do on higher 02)
-Occasionally butt mount a larger lift bag becasue it wont fit in the harness
-Will still dive wet on steel cylinders in really warm water b/c calculate risk: worst case is I settle to the bottom until I get the lift bag/ buddy to help me out, wouldn't do this in overhead just nice openwater dives with a known depth

You might want to expand the discussion beyond the equip to the other areas re: procedure etc.
-Still don't awlays do a full plan for each dive (ex doing a 30 min at 60 ft I probably wont worry about gas planning with the doubles on and won't bother with my CNS if I am only diving twice that day)
-Still dive with non-DIR divers b/c it might not be as safe but my wife would get really pissed off and I am willing to take the risks of being with non-dir divers on "fun" dives
-Don't exercise to olympic standards 4 times a week b/c time it takes up is not always available
Etc. etc.
-occasionally dive solo at the cottage b/c I am asking for trouble...

xoomboy once bubbled...
Thanks for the posts, guys.

WHY you wear your knife in the non-DIR locationMatt

This is gonna be embarrassing ... I have the sheath zip tied to the top of the crotch strap, I really like the knife and that is the only sano place I have found to put it. I use it often, as I shoot fish. It does look very peculiar though and I am rethinking it. I just hate to buy another knife, like I said I like this one. It is cheap and easy to get at.

I does look real peculiar though!!

subdude

Whoa, when did rock boots and shoulder dumps become non-DIR?

Even better question: why?

:confused:

There is really no solidarity from what I have seen on rockboots and dumps. GUE (via Andrew) is pushing the forearm dump since that is how he likes it and what comes on his FifthD suits. GI3 is still very much a DUI backer and likes his dumps on the shoulder. I asked a question about some drysuits on quest a while back and a whole maelstrom of $hit started between the drysuit factions. Andy's (incorrectly spelled Andies on all the quest threads) was one suit I was thinking about and also the manufacturer of the FifthD suits. GI3 said, at one point, that he "wouldn't take a shower in an Andy's suit". I say make up your own mind and get what works for you...just make sure you can reach your valves in it and it fits right. Shoot...if you look at it that way, my drysuit isn't DIR in its entirety...I went with a CLx450 instead of a TLS350.

Rockboots questionable...see the below quote from JJ:

Is anyone out there diving with DUI Rockboots?

E-gad lets hope not too many<G> You are confined to one or maybe two fins
big enough to fit these huge things. The turtle is usually the best bet
besides getting rid of the boot.
Best,
JJ

And a quote from GI3 on rockboots and turtle fins:
Now, a separate issue is the big guy, like xxxxxxx, who think they need to use IDI fins which have a bigger pocket than the extra large Jet. Andrew has big feet , ask him what he does.
My opinion is anyone can wear a jet. The fins cover my toes and 1/3 the way up my foot, and that is all you need in the fin .
All I know is that there is no way in hell I was getting my size 11 feet with rockboots in my jetfins. It would have taken a hydraulic jack to stretch the spring strap far enough out for me to get my heel in there...I ordered turtles... I *can* get them in the jets if I wear wetsuit booties with my drysuit...but, like I said in a previous post, I like the rockboots for what they are "rock" "boots"...my wetsuit booties hurt my feet on really rocky entries and the rockboots seem more solid. Shoot...I wonder if I could get away with wearing them to the office on casual fridays...

Get rid of the rock boots?!?!? Do these guys do any rocky shore diving?

I love my rock boots, and already have Turtles for them. Dunno what I'll do when it comes to wetsuit diving, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

My shoulder dump's in the usual place...guess I'd better be ready for Andrew to rag on me the whole weekend in DIRF. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom