Question for the under 30 crowd...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ariel from the lil mermaid, if I do see her underwater, I immed check my depth and start my ascent.

I'm in the over 30 crowd. I still think Cousteau. But, as several have pointed out, there a several generations; not just Jacques!

"The Adventures of Hans + Lottie Hass," was the first sub aqua programme I saw on television. :D

For the general population, scuba remains mostly silent. You can catch shows about the oceans and undersea life on the Discovery Channel, Science Channel or the Learning Channel. And sometimes something on Animal Plant. They may mention the scientist name, that's about it. There's no one to "rally-around" or draw people in.
Although I read that Dacor and Barry Clifford are teaming together. Article Maybe they can put something in the lime-light.

Jarhead

Paul168341 once bubbled...
I'm also over 30 but Clive Cussler's books certainly have the potential to draw a few in. I especially liked "the Sea Hunters" non-fiction.

I am neither over or under 30 :)

But if you care for my opinion, I have to completely agree with Paul... Cussler books were really the turning point that got me excited enough to find the time to get certified....

Since that point there are many new influences, and many are already mentioned [Exley, Dudas' (both), Gentile, Skiles, Chuck Nicklin (sp?), Dr. Bill, etc... etc... etc...]

Spectre once bubbled...

Since that point there are many new influences, and many are already mentioned [Exley,

But I believe the qustion was for those still living. Exley was great! However, no longer with us.

Thank you all for your responses. You've been most helpful.
Rick

I know this post is a little late, but I'd still like to get a reply in. I'm not sure if you would consider them "giants", but I'd have to say Ron and Valerie Taylor.

Every time I hear their names I think about sharks, which of course makes me think about scuba.

I'm over 30, but when I saw Cousteau and Sea Hunt I always thought "why would anyone ever what to do that?" The opposite of inspiration

Then I tried it and now I'm hopelessly hooked. Go figure.

Back
Top Bottom