Question of actual liability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No icon yet

Well, jbd, the lawyer son is in town with family in-tow. I asked him, while we were driving from the a/p, if he knew of any cases where a dive company or a scuba equipment mfg. co. lost a liability case involving a scuba diving "accident". The answer was, "yes". He did not remember details, but the case involved "breathing gear" (#1 son does not scuba, hence the use of a non-technical desciption.). The thrust of the case, though, was over jurisdiction. The gear was purchased in one state and used in another. The company in question tried to "duck out" on a "technicality" centered on jurisdiction. Bottom line: they lost to the plaintiff.

I asked #1 son if he would be so kind as to get some details and send them to me. Also asked him to do a search on other cases and, in particular, cases involving dive operators. Jbd, where shall I send the bill? My bank is almost busted from buying toys for the grandson! By the way, #1 son works in Manhattan--do you know what Manhattan attorneys charge per hour? Forget any of that scuba gear you were thinking of buying!

Joewr (the unpaid paralegal)

I live in a small rural town that is losing its economic base on a daily basis. My version of dive computer consists of an hour glass and a jelly jar marked to measure volume change(via Boyle's law)to indicate depth.

Have a great visit with family!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom