Question on Blackbeard's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aggie Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've read trip reports here and there, and the general consensus seems to be that you get in ~18 dives on the typical Blackbeard's trip.

What I was wondering is if you can do more. It seems from the readings like there's times where you're just anchored in a cove or off an island or something.

Are they cool with you strapping on a tank and going off the back during that time (seems like there's times where people are swimming/relaxing)?

Me and some friends are going in May, just trying to get a better idea of what to expect/plan.

Thanks,

AD

... but I doubt that they will let you dive on your own. The Blackbeards trips I've been on have been kind of structured as far as diving was concerned. Get in, dive, get out, move to the next spot.

The rare time spent hanging in one place can be spent snorkeling, but I doubt they will let you dive. Why dont you write to Blackbeards and ask them directly? I would be interested in the answer.

On my last trip with them, on the "Morningstar", we generally did as raviepoo suggested; dive and then move on, although on two occassions the Captain was concerned of weather, so we anchored in a cove where they allowed us to dive twice, w/a night dive in the same spot, and was allowed to snorkle all we wanted. But, other than that I never got the impression that we could dive additional dives. It was pretty structured, as a group. The other factor was the refilling of tanks. The DM, cranked up the rather noisy machine to fill all the tanks once at the same time, then shut it down, till the next time. There was not any extra tanks. But who knows? Good-luck, and have a great time! I enjoyed it alot!

Hey guys, I'm former blackbeard crew. You can usually get in as many dives as you can possibly safely handle. But keep in mind the trip times. You leave port at some point on a early Saturday afternoon. You won't hit the bahamas until you'r sound asleep in early in the a.m. sunday morning. Then Sunday morning you get up and the Capt. checks you into customs. Sunday afternoon you can start to dive. So you have Sunday afternoon, and Monday to dive. Then either Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon you'r in a port somewhere like Nassau. Thursday you do the shark dive at the arena. The you head back over for the crossing to Miami. About 4 a.m. Friday morning you are back at port in Miami where you started. You get a half day on Sunday, 2 full days and another 1/2 day of diving. Plus some night dives. 18 dives is usually plenty for everyone on a blackbeard cruise. If I can help you with any other questions just send me a message or respond here.

Thanks Cincy,

Anything you feel like providing insight wise (best spots to hit, etc. - don't know how much control you have over that either, but didn't know if you could put in requests, etc.) would be appreciated.

Part of the reason I was asking is that I'm doing DM training right now and doing 18 dives will leave me two short of the 60 required in the logbook for certification purposes. That, and I've got a new camera system that I plan on utilizing heavily :)

That brings me to another question - I have heard that for the shark dive you get overweighted and told to keep your hands in to your body, etc. Are they cool with you taking a camera down and taking photos while it happens, or is that deemed high risk?

I've had several shark encounters but I'll have to admit I've never been dropped in the middle of a feeding frenzy before.

Thanks,

AD

I have been thinking about BB as well. How are the the dives controlled? Are they the Nazi type "everybody get in now, follow me and everybody gets out when the first gas hog get to 1500psi" or is it more along the lines of "You are certified divers, here is the dive site, go dive, see you when you get back".

Thanks

herman,

I'm not Cincy :) but I can answer your question: from what others who have been on the trip already have said they take you to the site, give you a site overview, and then say "see ya back on the boat" and let you and your buddy do your thing.

AD

Aggie Diver once bubbled...
Thanks Cincy,

Anything you feel like providing insight wise (best spots to hit, etc. - don't know how much control you have over that either, but didn't know if you could put in requests, etc.) would be appreciated.

Part of the reason I was asking is that I'm doing DM training right now and doing 18 dives will leave me two short of the 60 required in the logbook for certification purposes. That, and I've got a new camera system that I plan on utilizing heavily :)

That brings me to another question - I have heard that for the shark dive you get overweighted and told to keep your hands in to your body, etc. Are they cool with you taking a camera down and taking photos while it happens, or is that deemed high risk?

I've had several shark encounters but I'll have to admit I've never been dropped in the middle of a feeding frenzy before.

Thanks,

AD

I just got back from a cruise on the Morning Star.. My LDS organized it and we had 22 divers (the whole boat). We didn't get out of Miami until Sunday around noon and didn't get to Bimini until late Sunday evening.. Even with the time cut short we still got 18 dives in. We requested (and got) lots of nice deep wall dives.. So we started off each day at a nice deep site and moved to something shallower in the afternoon. At once site we asked if we could stay a while anddo another dive and we got it.. The crew is awesome.. As for getting in extra dives.. While 18 dives doesn't sound like a lot you'll be pretty tired atthe end of the day. As long as you are not holding up the boat, and you have a buddy, and they have a full tank, I'm sure you could talke them into it. As for the shark dive, we were not overweighted.. I didn't change my weight setup all week. And yes, you can take a camera.. I got lots of pictures (www.eurocopter.ca/sparky)
You'll have a great time.. take some seasick meds... don't bring too much stuff.. space is limited.. If you're on the Morning Star make sure you have Rob as a cook.. He's awesome.. As a matter of fact the entire crew was amazing.. they made the trip ..

When I went on the Blackbeard cruise I took my video camera. The deck crew is very accomodating in handing you your rigging after you are in the water.

When you get to the shark arena you will start seeing shark as soon as you start your desent. They are swimming all around waiting for din-din. So have your camera ready to start shooting.

You have plenty of time to swim with the sharks before and after the feed. Of course the feed is the main event. The DM will have everyone kneeling in a group on the bottom before he starts the feed. Be ready for the feed because once they start, the food is gone in seconds. Quite a show.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom