Question on safety stats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think Bowling is more dangerous than SCUBA, according to the PADI Resue Diver's Book. Ping Pong is one of the few sports that is less dangerous.

They don't have shuffleboard or Chess statistics on injury, but i can see shuffleboard getting pretty ugly.

howarde:
I think Bowling is more dangerous than SCUBA, according to the PADI Resue Diver's Book. Ping Pong is one of the few sports that is less dangerous.

They don't have shuffleboard or Chess statistics on injury, but i can see shuffleboard getting pretty ugly.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't every recall being ask if I bowl on an insurance questionnaire. So, at least the insurance industry, having a vested interest in your survival, thinks the risk is in line with skydiving.

Stan

serambin:
I don't every recall being ask if I bowl on an insurance questionnaire. So, at least the insurance industry, having a vested interest in your survival, thinks the risk is in line with skydiving.

Stan

I think most bowling injuries are limited to Homer J Simpson... D'oh!

The last Dan report I read was from a few years ago but I doubt that things have changed. I was struck by the low number of deaths and by the categories of divers that died.

After reading all the cases it seemed to me that most (not all) deaths were people who had less than 10 dives and went deep and ran out of air and in some cases panicked and refused their buddies offer of air. Or people who had heart attacks or similar medical problems while underwater and in many cases it was people who knew of their poor health before the dive. Or, to use Dan's wording, were morbidly obese.

If you have made it past the initial learning curve and are in reasonably good health it would seem your chances of dying diving are rather low.

Actually, when I read the DAN report... It seemed to me that many of the dive accidents occured when divers are experienced, but have not gone diving in over 1 year.

According to the DAN report (2005 report based on 2003 data)... 30% of dive fatalities were with divers with >10 years of experience.

Additionally 45% of fatalities dove ZERO times in the previous year.... Where <10% of the fatalities had more than 60 dives in the previous year.

howarde:
Actually, when I read the DAN report... It seemed to me that many of the dive accidents occured when divers are experienced, but have not gone diving in over 1 year.

According to the DAN report (2005 report based on 2003 data)... 30% of dive fatalities were with divers with >10 years of experience.

Additionally 45% of fatalities dove ZERO times in the previous year.... Where <10% of the fatalities had more than 60 dives in the previous year.

I would almost consider a diver with several years experience who hadn't been diving in a year to be in the same category as a new diver with less than 10 dives. They are both in the high risk category. Now that I think about it several of the dive incidents around here have involved supposedly experienced divers but upon investigation they turn out to have not been actively diving for a while.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom