Question on streamlining

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know, I'm late to the party. A friend forwarded this to me today. It warmed my heart to see some of my previous work referenced. I haven't talked hydrodynamic drag in a few years, but I still have all my work, results, charts, even old u/w slides in a storage box here. I'll have to read this thread and see what's being tossed about. But from what little I read, I can answer many of the questions, if there is still interest. But I'm not here to bore anyone to death on it.

Steve

Matsya:
I read a lot of references to streamlining whenever there are equipment questions usually in relation to hoses and Jacket vs BP/Wings.

Why is streamlining so important? I can understand streamlining for say, car racing or flying where speed and fuel consumption are critical issues. But is it so crucial in diving? And if it is, then why?

Well, you are the Car, the hoses are the door open, your fuel is your stamina/air. The more resistance you have when you move forward the more fuel it consumes and quicker you have to get out of the race (water).

Or like riding a bike, would you want to wear a huge billowy parka to ride in a bike race? Surely not it would have you tired in 1/16 the normal time due to the lack of steamlining.

More steamlined = less resistance = less energy consumption = less tired = less huffing air = less air use = longer and safer dives

Back
Top Bottom