Question re inflator hose config

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CompuDude

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
If you look at the picture from the BAUE website:

singlerigfront.jpg

I see two innertube bands holding the LP hose to the wing's corrugated inflator hose. Seems like a great way to keep the two nice and streamlined and together.

But then I thought about logistics. Do you have to thread the LP hose through those bands every time you set up and put away your rig? Seems like that would (a) be kind of a pain, and (b) put a lot of wear on the bands.

So what's the real deal? Suck it up, or is there something I'm missing?

Suck it up....

Some people do not bother with the rubber bands... and there's also an arguement on bungie in or out...

I use both to keep my rig streamlined... the innertube bands are easy to replace... Rigging up take a few secs

Suck it up. The bands will withstand a lot of abuse. And when you get good at it, it'll only take a few seconds to do.

Will do, gotcha, 10-4, and all that rot. :) Without having tried it, it seemed like wet fingers or hoses could make a simple task a bit annoying, trying to pick a rubber band off a rubber surface, stretching it out, feeding through, etc. Guess it's not so bad IRL.

Nah it's pretty quick and simple. The rubber bands seem to last awhile too. At NCSU I don't believe we've replaced any of the rubber bands (although I don't 100% know for sure), and we've had the Eclipse's for 2 years now. At the very least each has several hundred pool dives by brand new students who aren't the best at treating gear, in a chlorinated pool.
Take care of your gear and it'll take care of you. :)

As for the rubber-on-rubber question, you just push in the corrugated hose a bit and your fingers slip right under the band. It really is a quick and simple process to put the hose through. And, my fingers aren't usually that wet before the dive unless I had a mishap with the p-valve :D

Chris

cmalinowski:
As for the rubber-on-rubber question, you just push in the corrugated hose a bit and your fingers slip right under the band. It really is a quick and simple process to put the hose through. And, my fingers aren't usually that wet before the dive unless I had a mishap with the p-valve :D
Depends on the size of the boat and how big the waves are.

I like your note about just pressing in, though... makes a lot more sense. Picking tight rubber bands off another rubber thing is a pain, but in light of your tip I see it's no big deal. Hadn't thought of that.

It's not hard to pick up the inner tube band, but it's a little bit of a nuisance to get Tobin's "hats" in and out under them. Nevertheless, I use the hats, because I want to be able to disconnect that puppy in a hurry if it starts to leak :)

TSandM:
It's not hard to pick up the inner tube band, but it's a little bit of a nuisance to get Tobin's "hats" in and out under them. Nevertheless, I use the hats, because I want to be able to disconnect that puppy in a hurry if it starts to leak :)

Take the hat off, load the hose, and replace the hat.

Alternatively, I run my LP hose under a piece of inner tube that's around the upper shoulder strap. I have a bungee loop at my dring, as per current DIR recommendations. It's large enough for the entire inflator to be inserted easily. I don't secure my LP hose to my corrigated hose.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom