Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
Besides, given the current, limited supply of GUE instructors I... Bob (Grateful Diver)

just out of interest, about how many GUE instructors are there out there Bob? I have never heard anyone quote a figure..

cancun mark:
just out of interest, about how many GUE instructors are there out there Bob? I have never heard anyone quote a figure..

I'm not sure if it's updated but try this for a start:

http://www.gue.com/info/instruct.shtml

NWGratefulDiver:
There are other alternatives ...

Not everyone who teaches at GUE shops is a GUE instructor ... and those non-GUE instructors who teach OW classes are generally very good, and teach in a way that prepares their OW grads for DIR-F. If you take an OW class at 5th D, for example, you will be taking it from an SSI instructor. That doesn't mean the class is somehow deficient ... far from it, it's an excellent curriculum.

Besides, given the current, limited supply of GUE instructors I can't see them spending a lot of time teaching OW classes. There seems to be enough demand out there for DIR-F and above to keep them plenty busy.

There are also lots of non-DIR instructors out there who provide great OW training, and many well-trained divers out there who have never taken a DIR class.

It's a mistake to assume that everyone who signs up for DIR-F does so because they feel that their OW training was deficient ... in many cases it's just because they're motivated to learn more.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Fair enough, Bob. I in no way meant any disrespect to any of the excellent instructors that are not DIR or trained by GUE.

I agree that there are some excellent instructors and divers that are not DIR or GUE trained out there. To think differently would be out of either arrogance or ignorance. I'm just thinking that if you use DIR-F training as a baseline for what should be taught in a Basic Open Water class and you don't know which instructor to recommend from personal experience, then looking for someone that is teaching both would be a "safe bet".

I was not GUE trained and am in no way unhappy with the basic instruction that I received from either my original instructor in 1979 or in a different instructor in 1985. I am an example of someone who, as you put it, is "motivated to learn more". I think that I have a lot to learn by taking a DIR-F class and that my overall ability will be greatly enhanced through striving to meet the objectives outlined in the class. The overall philosophy parallels the philosophy from my original training and therefore is in keeping with my own views on diving in general.

I believe you can teach an old dog new tricks!

Christian

headhunter:
I was not GUE trained and am in no way unhappy with the basic instruction that I received from either my original instructor in 1979 or in a different instructor in 1985. I am an example of someone who, as you put it, is "motivated to learn more". I think that I have a lot to learn by taking a DIR-F class and that my overall ability will be greatly enhanced through striving to meet the objectives outlined in the class. The overall philosophy parallels the philosophy from my original training and therefore is in keeping with my own views on diving in general.

I've been doing a bit of "team-teaching" with another NAUI instructor lately. Our philosophy is to prepare our students (at whatever level we're teaching) so that if they do take DIR-F they won't be inclined to ask "why has no one ever taught me this before"?

Which isn't to say we teach DIR-F skills ... only that we teach in a way that aligns with the skills and philosophy you would get by taking the DIR-F class.

headhunter:
I believe you can teach an old dog new tricks!

Yes, but first ya have to teach him to think like a young dog ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

jonnythan:

Not a bad spread too, only about a third are US based, that makes them a little more international than I would have guessed. Looks like there are only two ladies though which is a faily small contribution, but women are under-represented in all diving, especially tec.

cancun mark:
WHEN LIFE HANDS YOU A LEMON, BUST OUT THE TEQUILA AND SALT

I'd love to see what you'd do with just those three ingredients :jester:

NWGratefulDiver:
I've been doing a bit of "team-teaching" with another NAUI instructor lately. Our philosophy is to prepare our students (at whatever level we're teaching) so that if they do take DIR-F they won't be inclined to ask "why has no one ever taught me this before"?

Which isn't to say we teach DIR-F skills ... only that we teach in a way that aligns with the skills and philosophy you would get by taking the DIR-F class.
That's what I'd like to find in an instructor for my friends in the Los Angeles area. I also think that this is what CALI68 is looking for.

NWGratefulDiver:
Yes, but the trick is to teach him to think like a young dog ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
WOOF!!! :wink:

Christian

headhunter:
WOOF!!! :wink:

Christian

See, that's just what an old dog who wants you to think he can be a young dog would do. :eyebrow:

I've always said that if OW courses were taught properly the DIRF would go out of business. After all... it is about the "fundamentals" of good diving. That said, don't expect any serious changes in the near future. Even a well meaning instructor can only do so much with the industry standard length course. At least he/she can get you pointed in the right direction.

Now, if they taught the AOW course properly (actual 'advanced' skills) after acquiring some experience instead of just a baby-sitting course that might make a difference. In the meantime... there is DIRF.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom