questionable instruction for kids

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hargettdds once bubbled...
I was not aware there were degrees of wrong.

I'm not sure what you're refering to. Clearify?

I have to assume that spyder has been diving for a while based on his date he registered here. So, to still be thinking that he was not a risk interacting as he did shows a lack of understanding which could potentially lead to some form of risk in the future, unknowing or not. And my point is that if he doesnt know, how can a dm or instructor know and allow them to interact with their class in any way shape or form. The tag along may be cool on the surface but an accident looking for a place to happen at depth.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

IMO, if something had gone wrong he would have been a victem just as the student. To me, it seems very unfair to put a new diver in a situation they aren't trained to handle. Even worse at that stage of the game the new diver may not even be aware of the scope of what they agreed to do. If something had happened to a student he would have felt rotten even though he was set up to fail.

This is accurate.

As I said I had only recieved my cert the weekend before. There was no class time with this shop. It was a "here's the book and video go home read it, fill out the reviews andcome back for the test"

I was not aware, at the time, the danger I was putting both myself and those along with me in. Like I said after this episode I moved onto another dive shop cause I became aware of their unsafe practices and lack of training.

On a positive note, there WERE 3 "crisis" durring the dives of which I was able to spot and fix.

One student's mask strap broke underwater. To which I gave them my mask and used their mask sans strap.

The instructor himself had a slow leak at the junction of his first stage and tank which I went over and tightend down the connection.

Finaly one student DID panic and shoot for the surface and I had to pull him down and calm him down. (Durring a mask clearing exercise.)

Again, despite my being "helpful" I would never assume this roll again and would probably never dive with any instructor / shop that would ask a newly certified diver (or anyone else below DM) to act in this manner.

SpyderTek, that instructor sounds like the kind of instructor I would like to see put out ov business.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom