Questions about land activities in Panama

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@gb... we will be with a group on a charter bus so will not be able to stop to hike. We are not renting a car either. Do you know of any tour companies that will go there in a day trip from Panama city? hiking.. zip lines..mud baths sound great! thanks!

We did a full transit of the canal, which is only available I think once a month. We wanted to do it and loved it. Arrived in Panama from the UK late afternoon and were up by 3.30 am the following morning to do this. We didn't fall asleep it was fascinating. but I can also understand why some people would find taking a whole day as boring.

I really think a partial transit is a must - being in with the tankers and cruise ships and looking up at them has got to be an experience. Another experience is the Miraflores lock visitor centre. I would do a half day transit and fit in the visitor centre. We did the visitor centre after an early morning walk in the rainforest. Nowhere seems to be that far from anywhere, so it's easy to fit multiple activities together. We worked out what to do by reading the Lonely Planet Guide and then found local guides. The local cafeteria dining recommended in the LP guide was brilliant - the food was cheap, good, fresh and the cakes amazing. The Panamanians all flocked there for lunch, from business suits to overalls. By the way, taxis are not expensive, but there are plenty of buses.

By the way pelan pelan means slowly slowly, take your time - which is maybe how to visit places. The word that means watch out, watch your step is hati-hati as in hati-hati banyak mobil - which applies to Panama City as well as to Indonesian cities.

@ pelan pelan... they always used to tell us in Indonesia getting into our dive boat.. hati hati pelan pelan.. I had it backwards. I thought the hati hati was slowly slowly and the pelan pelan was watch your step! My mistake!!!
Okay... I took out 3 guide books from the library but the LP book is on order. I have to hurry and get my act together as we are going to Cozumel first for a week then heading to Panama a few days later. I have less than 2weeks left and I am squeezing in a ski trip this weekend! Yikes! Thanks for the great advice!

Hi GB, We are going to Panama March 14. We'll spend a few days in the city then head west for diving at Pedasi, Santa Catalina and Coiba. On our way back to PTY we'll spend a few days at El Valle. Any info you could give me a trailheads would really be appreciated. Dick

gb_williams gave me this information about hikes..
Hiking in the jungle will involve taking an overpriced birding tour on the Pipeline Road or renting a car and driving to El Valle (90 minutes west of the city) or to Camino las Cruces, (20 minutes north of the city) on the Madden Dam Road AKA Old Forest Road.

In El Valle he said to do the Sendero Gaital Trail ( used to be known as Sendero el Convento Trail) It is a 1.5 mile loop that looks down on El Valle and all the way to the Pacific. Make your way through town to the ranger station where you might have to pay a $5 fee if he is there. At the trail junction go left. Bring poles if you have them and don't touch anything!!! I have just given you the short version! I hope this helps!

Hi GB, We are going to Panama March 14. We'll spend a few days in the city then head west for diving at Pedasi, Santa Catalina and Coiba. On our way back to PTY we'll spend a few days at El Valle. Any info you could give me a trailheads would really be appreciated. Dick

Pulpo,

As you come into El Valle, you'll La India Dormida (The Sleeping Indian) directly in front of you. She's the western ridge. To get to the trailhead, drive through town, past the market and the church and cross over the bridge. The main road veers to the right. You'll be in a residential area, and you'll take the next left (or the 2nd left -- I don't remember exactly) and drive to the end of the street. The trailhead is very obvious -- it's a rocky path leading upwards.

The climb will take you just south of La India's breast. It's a great view of El Valle, looking east. Then, take the trail around the backside of the ridge. It will take you down to a creek and a little farm. Cross the creek and follow the trail through the orchard and up to the ridge. Coming down through La India's hair, you'll see a couple of waterfalls. Near the base, you'll also come to the pictoglyph -- an ancient, indian carving. For a $1 (inflation - they used to only charge $.25) one of the kids will tell the story/meaning of the strange carvings. It changes every time, with some being more creative than others. Coming out of the "park," you may be asked to pay the entrance fee of $5. You can walk to the main road, take a right and continue the loop back to your car.

To get to my favorite hike in El Valle, cross over the bridge and bear right. Continue on this road past the waterfall and zipline. You'll be going north at this point. The road will take you up to the backside of the northern and highest ridge surrounding El Valle. The road is pretty rough and there will be a number of other smaller, rougher roads leading off to farms on the backside of the ridge. After a couple of miles, you'll come to a green and yellow national park hut. Park here. If there is a ranger present, you'll have to pay the entrance fee of $5. If not, hike on.

As Jake said, it's a 1.5 mile loop with a fabulous view. At the trail junction, go left. Just below the vista, the trail splits again. Go left to go to the vista. Go right to continue the loop. If you choose to return via the loop, be prepared -- it's steeper, narrower and very rocky in places. There is a steel cable handrail, but don't trust it. Most of the stantions don't hold. You're better off using a walking stick or hiking pole.

All of the trails are rocky in places and very slippery in others. The rocks are loose and will quickly turn your ankle, so wear boots with good ankle support and/or use hiking poles.

Desfrute El Valle y buen viaje a Panamá

A couple of our Panamanian friends pulled into town last night for a visit. They said this "summer" (Jan - March) has been the hottest ever ... 30°C to 35°C in Panama and Coronado each day. You'll be ready for cooler weather.

Yikes!! Can we expect a lot of rain? Also, how much cooler will it be at el Valle?

This is the dry season in Panama. Especially on the Pacific side. You may get some brief afternoon showers, but mostly you'll have hot, dry (for Panama) breezes. Coiba will still be very humid and hot at night. Although, in the tropics, it always feels chilly and I reach for a blanket about 3:00am. A tip for sleeping more comfortably in Panama without airconditioning (read "Coiba"): bring a flannel sheet.

When it's 90° on the beach in Coronado (or Santa Catalina) it will be in the mid 80's in El Valle. At night in El Valle, you may want a light sweater or a long sleeved T-shirt. El Valle could have brief downpours in the afternoon or sometimes at night. But, the rain is warm, and if you're wearing nylon, you dry quickly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom