Questions about the 3 min safety stop....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couple of things to note, a safety stop is never mandatory. If it is mandatory by the rdp tables then it is an emergency deco stop.

Also by your dive profile, did it have to go like that? It would be beneficial for you to have gone to 70ft first then continued the dive shallower. Maybe teaching you to suck eggs but worth pointing out I think.

It's worth noting that there's no black and white about any of this. There's no "magic line" that you cross when you acquire a "mandatory" safety stop, or even when you stray "into deco". The whole lot is a sliding scale, shades of grey.

And that the tables etc are based on a conservative view of the "average" person in "average" condition. At any given time you may be outside the limits that were in the minds of the people who developed the tables. There are quite a few people who've been bent even though they did everything "by the book". It pays to be conservative, and that includes always doing a safety stop even when no-one's told you to do it.

Couple of things to note, a safety stop is never mandatory. If it is mandatory by the rdp tables then it is an emergency deco stop
Per the PADI tables, a safety stop does become mandatory under some circumstances without becoming an emergency deco stop.

Couple of things to note, a safety stop is never mandatory. If it is mandatory by the rdp tables then it is an emergency deco stop.

Also by your dive profile, did it have to go like that? It would be beneficial for you to have gone to 70ft first then continued the dive shallower. Maybe teaching you to suck eggs but worth pointing out I think.

Actually, PADI instruction on the RDP states that a 3-minute safety stop is required if you dive below 100' or are within 3 pressure groups of your NDL (shaded on the table).

But we could argue terminology between required and mandatory.

Well, I did my deep dive checkout a week ago.
I've learnd during the Deep dive theoretical classes that the safety stop should be done in a hanging bar at 5 meters depth and resting.
However, the safety stop in the checkout dive was done with nothing, only keeping neutral buoyancy or slowly kiching the fins.
In fact, keeping neutral buoyancy at 5 mts to be able to do the safety stop resting, only looking at the depth meter and the watch is still hard, at least for me.
This comes to the point if doing the safety stop keeping swiming activity is still worth.

This comes to the point if doing the safety stop keeping swiming activity is still worth.

If you mean "is it worthwhile to do the safety stop if you need to keep swimming to do it" the answer is yes. It is the perfect situation to practice hovering and bouyancy control. Once you get that under control the SS becomes a non issue.

This "Golden Rule" was pulled out of thin air by the founding gods of recreational diving. It was born around a table littered with beer bottles and late night after-dive yacking.

Absolute fact... but not science.

It's scientific name is GOBSAT DATA, most things are based on this (Good Old Boys Sat Around a Table):D

I've had to do deco stops (just like safety stops, only with more urgency) finning the whole time, when it turned out that I was underweighted. Having to do this for 40 minutes at the edge of the Blue Hole here, especially since everyone else was back on the boat, was somewhat annoying and a bit embarrassing!

I've had to do deco stops (just like safety stops, only with more urgency) finning the whole time, when it turned out that I was underweighted. Having to do this for 40 minutes at the edge of the Blue Hole here, especially since everyone else was back on the boat, was somewhat annoying and a bit embarrassing!

Glup...
40 minutes finning, but underweighted ?
Can't understand. If you were underweighted, with no air in your BC you still go up (positive buoyancy). So, you mean you were finning down ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom