Questions for DIR divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm writing this on my Blackberry from the Mr.C dive boat so my typing speed is severely limited :wink:. I'm sleeping on the boat tonight since we're leaving early in the morning. It's a beautiful night here in San Pedro!

Anyway, I've read all the responses in depth, and its been very enlightening. Some of the answers confirmed what I thought, others were new information for me. When I have more time (and don't have to hunt n peck on my Blackberry) I'll write up a more thorough response.

I did sign up for the GUE demo day in October, so I'll have the opportunity to explore this topic more thoroughly with Steve. I wish I could make the event on the 9th, but family obligations prevent that.

One comment about the "rep" that DIR has out in the recreational dive community - the topic of DIR came up on the boat today, and sure 'nuff, lots of divers were making comments about how people who dive DIR are "nazis", fanatics, its a cult, it's overkill unless you're a cave diver, yadda yadda. So that rep is still out there. I'm very glad that I'm taking the time to learn the truth, rather than just accept the general impression that's been put out there by the bad apples.

Well I'm off to my bunk so I'll be well-rested for another great day of diving tomorrow! Let me just add that I am extremely appreciative of all the time and effort put into answering my questions. I clearly have a lot more to learn before I ultimately develop the discipline that works for me - but all this exploring is a great start!

I'm writing this on my Blackberry from the Mr.C dive boat so my typing speed is severely limited :wink:. I'm sleeping on the boat tonight since we're leaving early in the morning. It's a beautiful night here in San Pedro!

Anyway, I've read all the responses in depth, and its been very enlightening. Some of the answers confirmed what I thought, others were new information for me. When I have more time (and don't have to hunt n peck on my Blackberry) I'll write up a more thorough response.

I did sign up for the GUE demo day in October, so I'll have the opportunity to explore this topic more thoroughly with Steve. I wish I could make the event on the 9th, but family obligations prevent that.

One comment about the "rep" that DIR has out in the recreational dive community - the topic of DIR came up on the boat today, and sure 'nuff, lots of divers were making comments about how people who dive DIR are "nazis", fanatics, its a cult, it's overkill unless you're a cave diver, yadda yadda. So that rep is still out there. I'm very glad that I'm taking the time to learn the truth, rather than just accept the general impression that's been put out there by the bad apples.

Well I'm off to my bunk so I'll be well-rested for another great day of diving tomorrow! Let me just add that I am extremely appreciative of all the time and effort put into answering my questions. I clearly have a lot more to learn before I ultimately develop the discipline that works for me - but all this exploring is a great start!

Hopefully we can convince people we aren't nazi's one diver at a time. :) The few nazi's I've ran into learned all the knew online and never really participated in a class or the community. Unfortunately there is bad seeds. It's a very strange thing how a couple bad seeds can taint the whole program.

If you need some advice on converting your husband, Nicole is your woman. She converted her husband completely around!

And they'll tell you how anything other than Halcyon is 2nd rate. :rofl3: That said, Karim taught a friend OW and she's doing great. Another friend of mine is a highly skilled diver and said Karim's in-water skills were the best he'd seen. So all kidding aside, I 2nd the suggestion if you decide to go that route.

Hollywood Divers seem to sell Dive Rite BC and Dive Rite rebreathers just fine.:idk:

Hal is one of the few people that advocates sidemounts.

Hollywood Divers seem to sell Dive Rite BC and Dive Rite rebreathers just fine.:idk:

Hal is one of the few people that advocates sidemounts.

I was kidding...hence the laughing smiley. I just know one or two there that tried to convince me how superior the halcyon was to my oxycheq.

I was kidding...hence the laughing smiley. I just know one or two there that tried to convince me how superior the halcyon was to my oxycheq.

I know you meant that in the most light hearted way but what else would you expect a salesman to do? No matter what is being sold I expect the seller to have a firm command as to why they think their product is the best. Regardless of wither or not they are right. :wink:

@leejnd

You should...do whatever the hell you want:wink:! If you like "this" element of DIR, adopt it. If you dislike "that" element, reject it. Some DIR's will tell you you can be semi-DIR; others will say it's all or nothing. In the end you should dive the way you feel most comfortable diving. It's better to be a happy diver than a "right" diver.

I did have some bad experiences with DIR divers, which I've posted about in the past. It was very intimidating, and in a couple cases actually quite upsetting. I wouldn't have even considered this if it wasn't for the friendly reaching-out I've been seeing in the SoCal forum from the local DIR divers - a very different behavior than I've seen in the past from some of the DIR divers I've encountered. I don't know if things have changed in the DIR world, or if I was just having bad luck and encountering the wrong people - but it's definitely been intriguing.
There are jerks in every circle. Some are labeled with names of the form of the sport or their hobby of choice. For instance road bicyclists are labeled "Roadies" often in a derogatory fashion. The point being don't let a few bad people bring a bad name to something, or the words "Scuba Divers" might keep you from diving period, since there are lots of jerks that scuba dive.

Fundies is one of the cheapest classes per hour spent in learning. I would highly recommend it no matter how you eventually plan to dive and with what gear configuration.

LeeAnn,

Allow me to add my two cents. While I think you are doing the right thing by asking the questions you are and seeking the advice of others regarding going "DIR," in my humble opinion, you won't actually know whether "DIR" is right for you until go through a class. This is because, no matter how many people tell you DIR is the right thing or wrong thing for you, until you actually experience it for yourself, you truly won't be able to judge its benefits or cons.

I base this on my own personal experience. I have recently taken and passed Fundamentals. Before I took Fundamentals, I had the good fortune to talk with a few people who had gone through the class. I talked with these people to try and find out what I should expect. (i.e. Just like a test, everyone wants to know what might be on the test.) After talking with these individuals, I figured I had a pretty good idea of what I was going to learn (i.e. gas management, buoyancy control, propulsion techniques, etc.) So, I went into the class with no real expectations, but simply thinking I will just learn some new skills.

As for the "classroom" work, as we painstakingly went through hours of lectures, honestly, I sometimes found the subjects and amount of information to be overwhelming. I remember thinking, my god, how am I ever going to be able to remember all of this stuff. However, as I have continued to dive following Fundamentals, I have realized that I have gradually started to incorporate much of this information into my dive planning and actual diving. By gradually practicing what I was taught, much of that information starts to become second nature. I also find the information very useful.

However, it was the experience dives that really meant the most to me. Having gone through PADI open water and advanced open water classes, I assumed, in Fundamentals, they would teach you some skills, you would demonstrate basic proficiency, they would pass you and then it is up to you to refine those newly learned skills. With GUE, that is exact opposite. What GUE did for me was honestly evaluate my current skills, correct my current skills, teach me new skills and then practice those new skills until I was able to demonstrate them with a certain level of proficiency. In other words, unlike my PADI classes, after I graduated Fundamentals, I now had a new set of skills that makes me a better diver, both personally and as a team member.

GUE Fundamentals, quite simply, was the best diving class I have ever taken. It was worth every penny I paid. If you review some of the posts on these boards, I think my story is actually quite similar to those of other divers who have taken Fundamentals or similar courses. For example, there are many posts where people practice the Fundamental skills for months before they take Fundamentals. Yet, after they have completed Fundamentals, they proclaim it to have been a great experience. Thus, my main point of this post is that if you are leaning towards taking a "DIR" class, do it. You won't know if it is right for you unless you actually go through it yourself. I think, there is a great chance that you will find it as rewarding as I did.

Finally, when I signed up to take Fundamentals, I did not (and honestly probably still don't) know what "DIR" means. When I signed up for GUE Fundamentals, I was interested in becoming a GUE diver, not a DIR diver. After passing Fundamentals, I am a GUE certified diver. I have no idea if that also means I am a "DIR" diver. So, don't let labels like "DIR" ultimately make your decision.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom