Questions for Maldives experts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some questions for you experts:

1. Is Gaafu Alifu Atol a good dive destination, or am I going to be so disappointed by my diving that I'll be happier paying for a dive trip to Sipadan as planned? Gaafu Alif is a great dive destination. I dive in that atoll almost every year for a month!

2. Has anyone dove with this resort, and can provide feedback on the Hyatt's (Alila Villa's) dive op? There are other resorts in Gaafu Alifu, so does that mean I can dive with another op (I don't believe my hotel will include dives in cost so maybe I can use another op if Hyatt op is so bad)? Maldives has a dive center on each island which is a resort and they will not allow you to go and use another resorts dive op. I don't know who runs the dive op on Alila Villa's.

3. The trip would be very late October or early-/mid-November, I've read best time is Dec-May, but that Oct/Nov is pretty good, is that true (and for this specific atol)? Yes it's a good month as well. Seen a lot of pelagics that time of the year.

4. With ND wife, I would plan to do a lot of snorkeling right on the island. Does anyone know this resort/island/atol and can comment on the shallows for freediving (2-10m depth let's say). I think you can snorkel around the island as well. The depths will be around 1.5m on the reef top and goes down deeper.

Cheers

Shaff

Great info and replies, thanks all!

So, from the info/replies, I feel great about a decision to spend a week at Gaafu Alifu / Hadahaa.

So, one last itinerary question. Is there another resort you experts can recommend, which I might add on for say a four night stay, to extend my total trip from say 7 nights to 11 nights? Even better if it's at an "American chain hotel brand" where I might use points, like Hilton/Waldorf or Sheraton/W/Westin brands. Here would be the objectives/requirements of such a resort:

1. I understand Gaafu Alifu will be great, but still is there a resort/location more north that will offer a slightly different dive/animal experience, to compliment what I'll likely see and not see in Gaafu Alifu (for example, I'm told it's unlikely I'll see mantas in Gaaful Alifu).

2. Middle price, much nicer than bargain/family resorts, but not super high-end luxury (unless it's from the American chain where I can use points).

3. Must have great house reef for shore-based freediving.

4. Close enough to Male to avoid a second expensive air transfer (which I'll be required to do for the first leg 7 nights).

Thanks!

Leo,

I don't think there are any Hilton/Waldorf or other american resorts in that area. They are mostly based in Ari and Male' Atoll. I don't know who gave you the information about mantas in Gaafu Alifu! I've seen loads of them around. And others have seen as well. Sheraton is close to Male'. about 15 mins from the capital. Got some good snorkelling around as well and great dive sites around too. Diving is operated by Euro Divers. They are good.

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom