Questions for OWD instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting discussion.

For you instructors - if you take someone through the course, and the person meets the standards . . .

Then the day after certification, the person does something so incredibly stupid that it proves he is a danger to himself, and maybe others . . .

You cannot "pull" the certification for cause? That's kind of scary . . . . .

I can't remember what the SSI stance is, but with PADI it is a breach of standards to withhold certification provided the student has mastered the performance requirements. The only caveat to that is the issue of payment for the course.

Once the certification has been processed, there is no method by which it can be revoked. This is because certification is just a 'proof of training'; it is not a 'license'.

So, if the dive school processes a certification stating that you have undergone training to the required standards, they cannot subsequently deny that you have done the training and reached those standards.

You cannot "pull" the certification for cause? That's kind of scary . . . . .

Is this actually "news" to anyone?

Though, if everyone who ever did something stupid had their cert "pulled" there'd be a ton of great deals on used gear out there.

:)

I'm just thinking that there are some real winners out there who can fake it for a while and then are an absolute Darwin candidate.

Too bad that if it happens within a bit of time, say 30 days, you cannot tell the agency - hey, he faked it and is not a smart diver.
shakehead.gif

Yeah seems strange to me that certifications can't be withdrawn.

So what did you do that made you fear your certification would be yanked?

It is actually quite logical that certifications cannot be withdrawn and in my mind should not be.

The certificate or C Card is simply evidence that you completed a course and met a required standard by the end of it. If you subsequently do not perform to that standard that is not the fault of the certifying shop UNLESS they did not actually insist on seeing the standard performed in the first place.

They provided a service, they certify you met the standard, that is the end of the relationship. It is not a licence, and they are NOT the scuba police.

There is no reason why they should be able to refuse or withdraw certification for anything done other than what you did in your performance on the course.

Phil.

So what did you do that made you fear your certification would be yanked?

I refused to pay extra costs which rose up at the end of the 6th dive (same for other people not giving to this less-than-honest idea), masked as needed extra dives (while they've never been forced upon us earlier) and been pondering referral to perform a scuba skills update to a more honest shop to get my certification, however I'm sure if the previous shop could bite me back in any way, they would.
A few people gave up to 20 and 12 dives before getting their OW, while a few ones paying up the extra costs got away at 6.

I think SSI requires 6 OW dives, correct?
Nope, just checked, 4 ow dives.

The problem is getting the paperwork, that may or may not be filled out.

I see this going 1 of 2 ways.....
1, SSI is involved and there is an investigation or
2, you redo the course with another shop.

After hearing this, if I was in your area I'd do a course for you for cost.

Question, was this course a special offering through social media (groupon, etc)? There have been a few occasions where some shady shops added on to the course to break even/profit.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom