questions on an o'neill neoprene dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottfiji

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I was recently given an o'neill neoprene 7mm dry suit for my girlfriend. It was described to be as a "wet dry suit". We dive in the Los Angeles area, where the water temp. is in the high 50's, and we usually don't go below 40 or 50 feet. She gets cold easily in a 7mm wet suit, I thought she might be a little warmer in this. It fits her snugly.

So my question is, I know nothing about dry suits, especially this neoprene "wet dry suit". I'm not even sure what the proper term is for what we have. Does she need to take a dry suit class before trying to use it? Are undergarments necessary? How is dry-suit diving different then using a wet suit? (Someone told me you will be using the dry-suit for buoyancy under water instead of the bcd). Will she need more weight than with a regular 7mm neoprene suit? Are there additional dangers involving rapid ascents? Any help/advice would be appreciated...

thanks in advance, Scott

http://www.oneill.com/index.php?func=catalog&G=M&spl_id=5&tspl_id=11&tsrl_id=42&product_id=0297

I believe it's a dry suit. In time the neoprene will loose it's isolation properties. Depending on how many undergarments she wears, there will be more air trapped in the suit, thus she would require more weight (the reason I dive wet, hate lead). By far the most spectacular event in a dry suit, is the feet first ascend, looks very good, but is very dangerous. She should do a dry suit course. Have fun...........

Take the course and learn a bit more about diving in drysuits than a course offers. Yes you will need some undergarment for this suit. I have dove this suit most likely the 7000X and it is known to leak a bit or a lot. It also requires quite a lot of weight. I would still be diving it had the zipper not broke and neck seal not torn. It was an old suit given to me. Please take the course and do research.

Best of luck

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom