Which regulator would you buy?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a XTX200, and it's amazing, but it's not worth the upgrade over XTX50. Only if you have a exact same price. That's how I got mine.
It can be upgraded to a 5th port for 25eur, but I think it's pointless. Since the routing as is is great IMHO. And works really good for doubles too with minimal kink in the hoses.

So def go Apeks, it's super easy to service, you can do it at home, closed overbalanced diaphragm and amazingly comfortable to breathe.

.........So def go Apeks, it's super easy to service, you can do it at home, closed overbalanced diaphragm and amazingly comfortable to breathe.

Everything after the first comma applies to basically every high-end regulator. You have to hunt for Apeks service kits, whereas Deep6 and DiveRite will sell them directly to you.

I would just go MK17, because I just like them and have never come up with a need for a swivel or a 5th port, the fewer moving parts the better, that being said the apeks and Atomic are excellent.

I think the two best values in regulators on the market today are the Atomic Z2 (not Z3) and the Deep6 Gear Signature series.

The Deep6 is better suited for tech use.

But, honestly, if you're going to go tech, you're probably going to end up with a dedicated set of regs for that and a separate reg set for single tank recreational use. So, you could buy an Atomic Z2 set now and then just know that you'll buy another set of something else later, for tech. The Atomic M1 is a great reg for tech use. Or you could buy a Deep6 set now and then another 1 or 2 Deep6 sets later...

I have two sets of regs for diving doubles. A set of ScubaPro Mk 25 EVO+G260, and a set of Atomic M1. They are both fantastic for tech diving. The Atomic are arguably a little better because they are sealed. And they are, I believe, less expensive than the ScubaPro regs I mentioned. Those and the Deep6 regs all have a swivel turret and 5th (bottom) LP port. Regs with the swivel and bottom port give you the most flexibility for ideal hose routing. I considered going with regs like the ScubaPro Mk 17 when I got my first doubles regs. I didn't because the Mk 17 has neither a swivel turret nor a bottom port. The result is hose routing on a twinset (i.e. back mount doubles) that is not nearly as nice as the hose routing you get with a swivel turret and bottom port.

As for doing your own service - well... I went to ScubaPro reg tech school. I COULD service my own. But, good regs probably only need to be serviced every 2 or 3 years, at the most. When I looked at buying all the tools and instruments needed to service my own, and then considered how often I would use it all, and then thought about whether I want to dive regs that have been serviced by someone who only services 3 or 4 regs once every 2 or 3 years, I decided that I would skip all that and have my regs serviced when they need it by someone who does it every day and really knows what they are doing. Just my choice for me...

Out of curiosity, why do you say that? Just because of the swivel on the signature series vs the fixed turret on the z2/3?

Yep. Though an Atomic dealer can order the parts and convert a Z2 or Z3 to have a swivel turret.

Yep. Though an Atomic dealer can order the parts and convert a Z2 or Z3 to have a swivel turret.
I'm definitely considering doing that when I service mine next. Just gotta find an atomic dealer to order me the parts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom