Which regulator would you buy?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for doing your own service - well... I went to ScubaPro reg tech school. I COULD service my own. But, good regs probably only need to be serviced every 2 or 3 years, at the most. When I looked at buying all the tools and instruments needed to service my own, and then considered how often I would use it all, and then thought about whether I want to dive regs that have been serviced by someone who only services 3 or 4 regs once every 2 or 3 years, I decided that I would skip all that and have my regs serviced when they need it by someone who does it every day and really knows what they are doing. Just my choice for me...

your repair cert is only good for as long as you work for that shop though, and only dealers can buy parts. Which is righteously screwed up.

your repair cert is only good for as long as you work for that shop though, and only dealers can buy parts. Which is righteously screwed up.
I wonder if today’s situation may not force a change in these policies? How many dive shops will survive to shore up this business model?

I wonder if today’s situation may not force a change in these policies? How many dive shops will survive to shore up this business model?

I doubt it. Most of the shops are still servicing regulators, granted most of them are also sending their regs out to companies like Airtech, but still.

I doubt it. Most of the shops are still servicing regulators, granted most of them are also sending their regs out to companies like Airtech, but still.
You may be right, we’ll see if enough survive to maintain the old model but still no problem getting parts so far.

C.Gates,

I just went through the same decision as a fellow recreational diver who wants to buy equipment capable of getting through at least some early tech courses.

This thread from a week and a half ago shows the advice I received. I remain impressed by how knowledgeable scubaboard.com members are and how generously they share the benefit of their experience. They saved me several hundred dollars because my uncertainty would have led me to buy higher up in a company's lineup than I needed.

I decided to go with the Atomic Z2 with a 7-foot long hose on the primary, DIN connection, sealed first stage--but the shop gave me a deal on a Z3 that mitigated the cost of the swivel. I did get a Z2 as my alternate. It should be ready for me by early next week. (To get the deal on the Z3, I had to accept it in blue, which doesn't match the orange on my Deep6 wetsuits, but if I'm deep enough, that won't matter.)

Please let us know what you decide.

Best wishes,

I really like my Apexs regs! The XTX50/200 range breath really well and I have heard only positive feedback. They look sweet too. I personally have the XL4 set for a while now and had a small hose issue. The company sent me a brand new hose in a few days. I got good service.

I'm definitely considering doing that when I service mine next. Just gotta find an atomic dealer to order me the parts.

Just curious, why? Are you going to be using it on doubles or sidemount or something? I have found no use for a swivel in a single tank configuration. I DO use the bottom port in single tank. That lets my longer hose (octo, in a conventional single tank setup) route down and under my right arm without pointing out to my right and then bending down to go under my arm.

Are you prepping that reg to be able to use it in doubles or something?

Yes, but that had no part in my decision to not service my own regs. It is mainly the fact of how often I would be servicing them. I.e. how little real experience I would have and how rusty that knowledge would get between each time I did the work. I trust myself pretty well on mechanical stuff. But, for my regs, I would trust AirTech more.

I trust myself pretty well on mechanical stuff. But, for my regs, I would trust AirTech more.
I do not know who will service my regs at AirTech or at any LDS. And this is the reason for which instead I decided to service them myself...
Even if this happened at least 5 years ago (I am servicing all them now, profiting of being locked at home due to COVID-19).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom