Quick! Do I want a compass on my console??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just recently moved my compass from a console to my wrist and find the wrist to be a much better location for it. Instead of having to unclip my console and contort it up in front of me to get a heading, I just glance at my wrist. I also switched from an Aeris (I think) compass to the Suunto SK7 and greatly prefer the Suunto. As mentioned above, it gives accurate readings even when it's pretty tilted, unlike my old compass which needed to be pretty level before it would work.

I also agree that if you're just going to be following the divemaster on tropical dives, you probably will prefer the console mount since you probably won't use your compass much.

If you have your compass in the console, I think a retractor makes it much easier to use than just clipping it.

I like having my compass on a retractor. It's the Suunto one, with about 3' of steel cable. I can unclip it from my BC if need be and can center hold it very easily when in use. On a retractor, it also is easier to get it out in front of my while swimming.

I have the Suunto also with retractor. Hardly ever use the thing.

ChrisA:
The hot setup is a "naked SPG" on a hose. No boot just a heavy duty brass case SPG on the end of a hose. Put the computer on the right wrist and compass on the left wrist.

So no protection on the SPG is OK? I have a console with SPG and compass. I've been thinking to look for a wrist boot for the compass and then remove the brick I have now and replace with a smaller boot just for the SPG. But if I can go with just a naked SPG, I'm even more enthused. (Don't have to find that boot.)

vondo:
So no protection on the SPG is OK? I have a console with SPG and compass. I've been thinking to look for a wrist boot for the compass and then remove the brick I have now and replace with a smaller boot just for the SPG. But if I can go with just a naked SPG, I'm even more enthused. (Don't have to find that boot.)

No boot on the SPG is OK. Some would even have you think it's better, since corrosion and other miscellaneous badness can't hide under the boot.

Wellllll...

After taking into account everyone's fine advice, and mixing the advice with affordable items on Scubatoys, I put in an order for this....
mixpak.jpg

and added a compass to the back of the console

with a regulator upgrade to Sherwood Oasis...
oasis.jpg

but when I tried to order the Aeris Atmos 2 Wrist Computer, they said they were out but could send me, for the same price ($289) the latest version which has like an XL5 or something added to the name....

I haven't finalized the order, is the latest version of the Aeris Atmos 2 as well loved as it's ancestor?

Thanks some more
Pamela:wink:

Back
Top Bottom