Quick question about Buddy Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also we prefer the taste of U.S. beef to the stuff served/bought there. Most meats really.

I see your point but IMO you can get a steak anywhere. On holiday, I like to splurge a bit and go local. The experience of sampling the cuisine is a big part of the charm of being in a foreign country.

I generally agree--sampling local cuisine is a big draw for me in many destinations--but I don't feel Bonaire has all THAT much to offer as far as interesting local cuisine. There are a few things we enjoy or have been tempted to try. For instance, every trip we make a point to eat a lunch at Maiky Snack or Rose Inn for some goat stew or something of that nature. We have also tried one of the Surinamese places. Last trip we tried the advertised local sushi/sashimi at Osaka, but were not impressed. We also gave La Terrazza a try because it got good reviews, but were not impressed. We have tried the old standards such as It Rains Fishes more than once. All of these places are fine, but it's nothing we can't get in a major city in the US or Europe. I think with each trip we ended up cooking for ourselves more. All in all, we are often happiest going back to our unit after a day of diving, popping open an Amstel and relaxing in a chair or hammock while watching the sunset and keeping an eye on the steaks (or sausages, satays, or whatever--there's a lot of good stuff at Van den Tweel) sizzle away on the grill. YMMV. :)

Different strokes. I agree that some of the restaurants are mediocre and expensive but local places like Rose Inn, Maiky Snack, Mi Banana etc. are exactly what I am referring to.

There are different ways to enjoy Bonaire. I guess having a beer and watching the sunset should be on the list.

We are debating bringing food with us to cut cost. We do, however, plan on dining out some nights. Just not all. We leave this frozen hell hole 2 weeks from tomorrow and I'm trying to plan out purchases and luggage situation.

We often vacuum pack some ribeyes from Costco. They stay fairly solidly frozen from Atlanta to Bonaire.

No public grills, yes the 2 bedroom unit that used to be the Lions Dive check in has a fenced courtyard with a grill. If we ever have the whole gang in for a long stay would probably try to get that unit. We bring in some food & meats as well because we buy some really good meats at home, my meatballs don't have MSG, and we get locally sourced organic chicken. Freeze them, seal a meal them and wrap in neoprene and they are still rock solid when we arrive. I also vacum pack small quantities of herbs and spices to cook with - who wants to buy an entire container of red pepper flake, salt, pepper, garlic powder? With an ocean view, I don't mind cooking on vacation, actually relaxing at the end of the day. And we usually invite our local friends over a couple nights. Very pleasant to sit around, break bread and not have restaurant staff interrupt or hoover. I've found heating a pan, throwing the steaks on, let them sizzle, flip a few time, then deglaze the fond with either red wine or gin creates a nice jus. Add a salad and take away order of fries from the Buddy pool bar.

Flew through Detroit last night - 20 and sideways snow, makes my 37 look like a heatwave!

We're looking at bringing a soft cooler with vacuum sealed ribeyes, chicken breast, lunch meat, and cheeses. Bacon and sausage for breakfasts. As a carry on bag it won't cost us anything more, and should save a few bucks at Van Den Tweel

We're looking at bringing a soft cooler with vacuum sealed ribeyes, chicken breast, lunch meat, and cheeses. Bacon and sausage for breakfasts. As a carry on bag it won't cost us anything more, and should save a few bucks at Van Den Tweel

Nice! We actually look forward to some of the Dutch meat and cheese products from Van den Tweel. But bacon and what we Americans know as breakfast sausage are not among them, so I can see why you might bring those from home.

When it is just my wife and I we stay at Bamboo Bali. They have gas grills which is many rungs below real charcoal but I do enjoy sipping a libation and tending the grill. As a Kamado Joe fan, if a resort installs one or two of those, they will have a guest for life. Extra points if they provided a precision cooker so I could cook meat sous vide! You could put some meat into the water bath before your last dive, come back and sear it up on the grill. Heaven! I would even settle for a Big Green Egg. I saw an add that one of the stores on the island is carrying those now.

I never thought to bring raw/frozen meat with me. I figured that wouldn't fly (terrible joke) but apparently you all are not finding it an issue. I have a hunch bringing it back into the US would be frowned upon but maybe I'm wrong.

We are debating bringing food with us to cut cost. We do, however, plan on dining out some nights. Just not all. We leave this frozen hell hole 2 weeks from tomorrow and I'm trying to plan out purchases and luggage situation.

Restaurants for me all the way. It's part of the fun. Lunch at between 2 buns almost every day!

DennisP

It is a good consideration to bring down some frozen food. Years back, on a bareboat charter in the Virgin Islands, we brought down steaks, pre-cubed pork loin marinated for souvlaki, marinated lamb and so on ready to throw on the grill on the stern rail. Much better choice than available on that island and we ate well for the entire 10 days.

But, other than the grain fed steaks from the US, which will be better than here ( the beef is better than what I used to refer to as "Caribbean ditch-cow" from years past, but still not prime), and maybe sausages if you have some you really like, the availability and price of everything else really does not justify bringing it down. Fresh chicken, pork and high quality deli meats are available at Van den Tweel at prices as good as the US. And the Dutch cheeses beat anything you could bring. There are also interesting Indonesian sauces, Surinamese spices, European ingredients that are fun to experiment with too. We mostly prepare all our own meals, with only the occasional outside dinners and the selection of products here allows an interesting variety of choices that are a nice change from what you do up north.

Also you can get fresh fish from a local shop; sautéed in butter, garlic and finish with white wine and it will be as good as the seaside restaurants at one fifth the price.

Really no need to mule down your entire provisioning at all.

Andy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom