Quickest way to get to hotel from airport?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi:
You have only three choices:
  1. Shuttle Vans
  2. Walk off property and hope a taxi happens to come by quickly
  3. Rent a car

Taxi's are NOT queued up outside the airport, it is ILLEGAL for them to do so...which I've always known and recently confirmed with the taxi base. So, it would be a matter of timing for you. You could get lucky and one may be driving by about the same time you are coming off airport property or you could end up waiting 10 to 20 minutes as you watch the white shuttle vans leave without you.

We've always just done the shuttle van that was part of our package. So how do arrange for a shuttle van if you decide not to get one as part of a package? My big idea was to hail a taxi figuring there would be plenty waiting off the property. But now I'm thinking that's not such a good idea since we'll be traveling with a toddler. Also, are there any areas leading off the property designated for pedestrian foot traffic? I'm getting bad visions in my mind trying to carry 4 pieces of luggage, my daughter and wife through some over-grown field having to leap-frog cesspool trenches filled with crocodiles just to catch a cab. :errrr:

I never spent more than 20 mins. in the van. Taxi will set you back mucho dinero. Take the van...relax - you're on vacation mon!

driftin' by:
We've always just done the shuttle van that was part of our package. So how do arrange for a shuttle van if you decide not to get one as part of a package? My big idea was to hail a taxi figuring there would be plenty waiting off the property. But now I'm thinking that's not such a good idea since we'll be traveling with a toddler. Also, are there any areas leading off the property designated for pedestrian foot traffic? I'm getting bad visions in my mind trying to carry 4 pieces of luggage, my daughter and wife through some over-grown field having to leap-frog cesspool trenches filled with crocodiles just to catch a cab. :errrr:

I assume that shuttle van of which you speak is one of those which load up in the airport lot to go to the hotels. Possibly the package you got provided you with a voucher for said shuttle. If you don't have a voucher, just veer right as you leave customs and you'll see a window where there will be folks lined up to arrange for transport. You tell the woman at the window which hotel and how many people and she tells you how much it costs and she will give you tix. Then you go out under the awning and find a guy that looks like he is in charge and tell him how many for what hotel, and he will point you to the appropriate shuttle. Pile in, give the driver your tix, and off you go. It's pretty simple. Even I can do it.

There is a road out to where you may be able to flag a taxi, but it's about 100 yards worth of schlep. I take the shuttle.

Somehow the concepts of "quickest" and "vacation in Mexico" just don't seem to go together, you know? What's your hurry?

Not diving since last September is my hurry!(haha) I am having a hard time focusing on work as my next trip draws near. I'll manage, barely!
B

ggunn:
Somehow the concepts of "quickest" and "vacation in Mexico" just don't seem to go together, you know? What's your hurry?

driftin' by:
As suggested, the desk is off to the right as you come out of Customs. Buying tickets there is probly cheaper than the hidden charges for them in a package that includes them, and it's the same van ride. With a toddler and luggage, forget walking to where you may find cabs available.

Just in case, read Christi's warnings about the Time Share hawks there again. They can be very irritating, but I've gotten in the habit of giving them the meanest look as I come out of Customs. Seems to help.

Seems like the time involved to get the van organized and packed like sardines can be longer than the ride to Caribe Blu/Case Del Mar if you're one of the first assigned to a filling van.

Christi:
You have only three choices:
  1. Shuttle Vans
  2. Walk off property and hope a taxi happens to come by quickly
  3. Rent a car

There is a 4th way Christi and I'm not talkin Burro here. If you are a member of Intercontinentals' Priority Club they will for a fee pick you up at the airport in a Suburban and take you to the Presidente Hotel.

Thanks for the info ggung and DandyDon. No, we're all too aware of the timeshare pests. Just after a dozen trips I felt like doing things al a crate this time. I made the conscious decision to deselect the check box on Expedia that was going to, by default, add the transfer (white van shuttle) for $22 per person. I also thought this was a little ridiculous being charged for my daughter which will undoubtedly be sitting on my lap. We've also had not-so-good experiences in the past when it came to purchasing the transfer as part of the package. At the hotel/resort, the reps there want to corral you around like pod people and attempt to sell you tours before confirming your transfer back to the airport. Our first few visits, we did all the tours. Nowadays, I just want to relax and dive and nothing else. Actually, they couldn't give me one of those tours for fee! :light: Sorry for the off-topic rant.

All too many times, we've hurried through customs and to the vans without stopping to smell the roses so to speak. In all our visits, it never crossed my mind that taxi's were not allowed at the airport and there'd be considerable schlep-age involved to get one. After reading Christi's post, I started to regret my decision and sucking air as if I were trying to keep up with a Whale Shark for a photo op.

DandyDon:
Buying tickets there is probly cheaper than the hidden charges for them in a package that includes them, and it's the same van ride.

That's what I'm thinking Don, but any idea on how much? Not picking nits, just want to make sure I'm prepared with enough dinero and it doesn't come at the sacrifice of some well earned tips by DM's, captains and crew.

Also, is the ticket purchased at the airport good for the return also?

driftin' by:
That's what I'm thinking Don, but any idea on how much? Not picking nits, just want to make sure I'm prepared with enough dinero and it doesn't come at the sacrifice of some well earned tips by DM's, captains and crew.

Also, is the ticket purchased at the airport good for the return also?

The shuttle cost depends on where you re going. To central zone it is $78 pesos or about $7 USD. More to other zones.

The best part is that you don't need the shuttle for the return. Taxis are allowed to drop off at the airport and you can get one at your hotel to take you back for less than $10 total (per cab, not per person), again from central zone.

Thanks for the info ReefHound. I was able to confirm that price at a couple other websites and as it turns out, it's much more reasonable than buying up front. I was expecting about $10 each way. BTW, we're staying at Fiesta Americana which is luckily at the end of the zone that is considered to be an "affordable taxi ride".

Back
Top Bottom