Rainbow Reef Dive Master Program

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SentinelAce

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am thinking about doing this program. It is a 10 day dive master program. I have over 200 logged dives and just don't have time to spend an entire summer here in ohio to get it done. Has anyone done this through rainbow reef? I'm very impressed after talking to them. Price seems good to and they provide you a room. Sounds like there are 7 tests to take (I suck at written tests) so that's the only part that makes me nervous. Thoughts?

There's no magical way to learn everything in 10 days.

If you had 2000 dives and were formerly a dive instructor in a military or commercial setting, then yes, a 10-day DM would be all that's needed. You'd just need to understand the agency's specific way, switch to it, and prove you did.

For a good diver in their 200s, a 6-week DM program would be about right: you'd spend 1-1.5 weeks on classes and exams, 4-5 weeks doing assists and guiding divers, and get a few days off.

A full 2-month program would still not be excessive, a 3-month one perhaps overdoing it, as that extra month is basically more dives. But these multi-month programs prepare you for a few months of work as a DM, acing your IDC, then being an actually useful and called-for instructor.

Why do you want to be a divemaster?

It's a great program. They are THOROUGH in skills preparation, a cheerful bunch of instructors (they team-teach so you're not stuck with somebody you might not see eye-to-eye with), and they will make you ready to act as a DM.
Let's face it, a DM is a ticket to ASSIST an instructor in training others. You will learn more on the job than anywhere else. That said, @Blasto has a point. If you're getting your DM to get paid to lead other divers, then 200 dives is barely enough experience to manage a large group.

Let's face it, a DM is a ticket to ASSIST an instructor in training others. You will learn more on the job than anywhere else.
Yep, if you get a job as a DM right after your course, then even the bare-bones 14-day (or 10-day - no days off?) course should suffice. The 3rd-8th (or 12th) week of DM internships are just free work as a DM.

The challenge is getting that job. If you have it sorted out already, go ahead and do just a course. If not, the ops I know generally expect at least internship experience before hiring even as freelance. But I'm mostly familiar with how things are done at diving destinations, it can differ a lot locally.

I like the DM program there, you will learn everything and more you need to function as a DM. The free place to stay and the people you will meet is worth it alone. It's long days and nights of homework, they just don't give it to you. Enjoy

It’s a great program. We’ve hired several of their DMs and they’ve all proven to be well-trained and very useful to us from day 1. Highly recommended.

They spent a lot of time with me on the phone. Its all day every day for 10 days like a boot camp. Sounds intense. I want to be a dive master because I want to get better in the water with other people. My son is 12 for example and dives. I was able to react with him on a reg issue we had in Florida a few months ago. I want to eventually become an instructor because I enjoy it. I'm not in a rush, but I own my own business and cannot dedicate months for training so this seemed like a good option. I'm a tech diver, I'm not new. I could understand concerns if I haven't been diving

They spent a lot of time with me on the phone. Its all day every day for 10 days like a boot camp. Sounds intense. I want to be a dive master because I want to get better in the water with other people. My son is 12 for example and dives. I was able to react with him on a reg issue we had in Florida a few months ago. I want to eventually become an instructor because I enjoy it. I'm not in a rush, but I own my own business and cannot dedicate months for training so this seemed like a good option. I'm a tech diver, I'm not new. I could understand concerns if I haven't been diving

What’s the issue with the time committment for doing it locally? I have several friends doing DM through a local shop. They did bookwork, classes, and pool over the winter. Saturdays primarily. Since the quarry opened in April, they have been assisting with classes on weekends and helping with weekend pool sessions as well. Weekday evening stuff is rare.

Hired many RR DM’s and Instructors. All well trained with few issues. FWIW dire shortage of both in the Upper Keys.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom