Trip Report Raja Ampat 2024

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just came back from Raja Ampat on Blue Manta for 19-29 February 2024 trip. It’s my 10th time there and the best one, so far.

The route for the 11 day trip is as shown, below.

IMG_3347.jpeg

Table 1, below, shows the daily activities.

IMG_3346.jpeg

And here’s the trip video:

About Blue Manta
You can check directly at their website:

The highlight of the trip, as far as fishes & critters is as shown, below:

6Raja Ampat 2024.jpg

Seeing Blue-ringed Octopus in Friwinbonda, Flamboyant cuttlefish using our dive light to hunt for mantis shrimp in Crazy Zoo, Oceanic Manta in Pelee's Playground, were unexpected surprise. We even saw two different kind of Wobbegong Sharks, Tasseled Wobbegong and Ornate Wobbegong.

What a great show! I should have had some popcorn! Thanks for putting in the locations and fish I.D. I saw many of those critters for my first trip to RA last December, but didn't know what they were called. Great job!

Reactions: Dan
What a great show! I should have had some popcorn! Thanks for putting in the locations and fish I.D. I saw many of those critters for my first trip to RA last December, but didn't know what they were called. Great job!

Thanks!

I use my fish ID "bibles", i.e.,

Reef Fish Identification
Tropical Pacific
by Gerald Allen, Roger Steene, Paul Humann, Ned Deloach
ISBN 978-1-878-348-36-4

and

Reef Creature Identification
Tropical Pacific
by Paul Humann & Ned Deloach
ISBN 978-1-878-348-44-9

This trip has been a long-wait trip for some of us. The original trip was put together by @anchochile and I back in December 2019. He then posted the group offer in Scubaboard on 5 January 2020 for 10-20 February 2022, as shown in the link, below.

Then Covid-19 hit the world and shutdown Raja Ampat for 2.5 years, which changed, not only the trip was being rescheduled to another two years later, but also the group members. We rescheduled the trip to 19-29 February, 2024. Four of us had to back out due to this schedule change or other reasons. This is a trip to Raja Ampat, however, so we had no problem in finding their replacements.

For the original 3 member (including me), it sure is worth the wait. We even are already preparing for our next trip back to Raja Ampat in February 2026.

I'm returning in March 2025, this time on the White Manta, largely because of the positive feedback from SB members, and there are few quality liveaboards with the low 20% single supplement/penalty. I hope to go back every year.

Reactions: Dan
I'm returning in March 2025, this time on the White Manta, largely because of the positive feedback from SB members, and there are few quality liveaboards with the low 20% single supplement/penalty. I hope to go back every year.

BTW, It was only 10% single supplement back in 2022. They raised it to 20% last year.

I’ll be on White Manta too in January 2025.

BTW, It was only 10% single supplement back in 2022. They raised it to 20% last year.
Does that apply if you are a solo traveller, willing to twin share or only for those who want to be guaranteed a single berth in a twin cabin?

Does that apply if you are a solo traveller, willing to twin share or only for those who want to be guaranteed a single berth in a twin cabin?

The latter, it applies to those who want to be guaranteed a single berth in twin cabin, as there is no single cabin on the boat.

Solo traveler, willing to twin share, pays no single supplement.

The boat has 14 twin cabins for a maximum of 22 passengers in the boat. That allows up to 4 twin cabins to be used as single cabins.

Each cabin is huge, 200sf (20 sq. meter).

IMG_3350.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom