Raja Ampat Insight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Octopuss

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I am trying to plan a dive trip to Indonesia in September or October and hope to get some insight. I dove in Pulau Weh back in 2001ish but other than that, have not done any diving in Indonesia. After relentless research, I feel fairly settled on Raja Ampat (I was originally thinking Pulau Bunaken but I hear consistent reports about the amount of trash on the sites and washing up on the shores). I see that most people seem to say a Liveaboard is a better way to dive Raja Ampat than going from a land-based resort. Can anyone provide some details as to why? What in particular would I miss by doing a land-based rather than Liveaboard trip? I don't know much about the region or how different the dive sites are so any input would be very helpful. I am leaning (heavily) towards a land-based trip but am concerned that I won't be doing justice to Raja Ampat by doing so.

On the topic of a resorts, I was looking at the Kri Eco and Sorido Bay resorts, but also see that there are resorts on Misool and there is now a Raja Ampat Dive Lodge on Mansuar. Does anyone have any input about these resorts? I've seen a few postings about Sorido (which seems to be a great resort but is also a lot more expensive than Kri or the others) - does anyone know why? Is Kri Eco really "roughing it"? The price is certainly more palatable.

Any input would be very much appreciated!

The reason why there are so many liveaboards compared to resorts and that most people are recommending liveaboards are twofold:

1. It is a remote place and logistics are not easy. It is simply too much trouble to run a resort from there (for most). Getting things to and from a resort can be costly and take a long time.

2. The area in which you can dive around the Raja Ampat region is vast. As in other destinations, resorts are restricted to how far they can go from base. Liveaboards have a much greater range and can offer an itinerary that resorts cannot match.

There are quite a few good quality and reliable Raja Ampat liveaboards to choose from.

It is a long way to go for diving and, once there, most people want to see as much of the region as they can. Liveaboards also arguably allow for much more of a pioneering feel. Touring from island to island in the middle of nowhere is a different feeling from waking up in a resort every day.

That said, if your heart is set on a resort, then Misool Eco Resort is a great spot. It is much better located than the current alternatives. Many liveaboards stop by here as it is in the heart of their itineraries.

Best of luck. Whatever happens, you are going to Raja Ampat. That alone should make the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end!

We think the main difference between doing a liveaboard instead of a resort like Kri in Raja is if you want to go out of Raja it self and dive some of the other awesome areas around it like Misool. We are doing just that next Dec. on the Tambora liveaboard which will dive not only around Raja and Misool but will also head further south into Triton Bay which is also a world class dive area.
If you would be doing a boat that just goes around Raja, then Kri and Sorido would offer you about the same dive sites.
We stayed at Kri in 2004 and though we do recommend it you do need to know that it is a basic yet very comfortable resort. The bungalows are mostly over water and again though basic they are clean and have incredible views, there is no air-con but they can give you a fan so if you think you get to uncomfortable in the heat it maybe a consideration. The bathrooms are communal and again quite and the showers are in hut and because they have to ship in frsh water you poor breakish water over your head to bathe. The food is plentiful and local home cooking and of course consists of a lot of fish, rice and veggies and there beer is cold.
The diving is is incredible and Kri has one of the greatest house reefs in the world we think, we were doing 4-5 dives a day and it is almost like a liveaboard in that you either go out to do a single dive and then come back our if going further out you will do 2 dives in the morning and then be back in time for lunch followed by your afternoon dives you should be aware though that because they are 7th Day Advantistis that they do not dive on saturdays but they will take you on a tour if you wish and the Kayaking is quite good. We stayed there 3 glorious weeks and would do it again.
Sorrido also has the same owner Max who really is the first one to explore the area and he and his crew know thwe sites probably the better than anyone. Sorrido was being built while we were there in 2004 and looked very first class but as you know will cost a bit more.
Though Misool is very nice and worth diving we would choose Raja Ampat to stay and dive because of the diversity which is incredible or stay at both if you do not want to do the LOB.
Which ever you choose the diving in that part of the world is some of the best and you will be quite pleased and let us know if you have any other questions.

Kevin and Stacey

I've been to Sorido 3 times in two years (trip reports posted) and headed back this Nov. I will take a LOB in the next year or two to see the Misool area....but all I can say is Sorido is an excellent resort and the people I've met on the boat going to Kri love that also...Kri is basic no hot water and Sorido...is like the Ritz in the middle or nowhere....read my reports all I can say it is some of the best diving I have ever done.

Strong suggestion....Stop at Lembeh Straits on you way there....my 2psi!

I'm in the middle of a dive holiday right now (I guess...what am I doing on the internet?! - and reading about diving - maybe a little obsessed) and actually heading to Sorido in 4 days and then following a week there with 5 days on a LOB recommended by them - the Putiraja...but I just spent 6 days diving Alor, land-based (Alor Dive with Thomas Schreiber). I'll write up a trip report when I have time to put everything into perspective but I've been to Sorido once before. Just want to say that Alor is plain magic. The diving has larger stuff (dove with dolphins, saw mola mola at the surface, etc.) as well as mucky stuff in addition to some soft coral reefs that rival RA and the masses of fish. It's not as scenic topside (it isn't ugly by any means - a little trash in the harbor - not as much as Bunaken) but if you are OK in currents (3+ knots and down currents) the diving is the best out there in terms of bang-for-your-buck (or Rupiah) that I have experienced. However, do not do Alor on a liveaboard... It really is worth the hassle of travel, if you have the time...but not a place for freshly certified OW divers (already considering a trip back out in Dec/Jan if I can swing the funds/time - plus it's the end of sperm whale season - 'nuff said). I agree with everything said about the Sorido / Kri area - it is also A+++ diving. Either way, you can't go wrong going to Indonesia, I don't think. Enjoy!

I'm in the middle of a dive holiday right now (I guess...what am I doing on the internet?! - and reading about diving - maybe a little obsessed) and actually heading to Sorido in 4 days and then following a week there with 5 days on a LOB recommended by them - the Putiraja...but I just spent 6 days diving Alor, land-based (Alor Dive with Thomas Schreiber). I'll write up a trip report when I have time to put everything into perspective but I've been to Sorido once before. Just want to say that Alor is plain magic. The diving has larger stuff (dove with dolphins, saw mola mola at the surface, etc.) as well as mucky stuff in addition to some soft coral reefs that rival RA and the masses of fish. It's not as scenic topside (it isn't ugly by any means - a little trash in the harbor - not as much as Bunaken) but if you are OK in currents (3+ knots and down currents) the diving is the best out there in terms of bang-for-your-buck (or Rupiah) that I have experienced. However, do not do Alor on a liveaboard... It really is worth the hassle of travel, if you have the time...but not a place for freshly certified OW divers (already considering a trip back out in Dec/Jan if I can swing the funds/time - plus it's the end of sperm whale season - 'nuff said). I agree with everything said about the Sorido / Kri area - it is also A+++ diving. Either way, you can't go wrong going to Indonesia, I don't think. Enjoy!

I'd like to hear more about Alor and the Putiraja when you get back. Max has suggested it but I've been waiting for the Antares to be up and running. Tell Max, Scott said hello.

PM'd ya...and will write up about the Putiraja! I know some people (who I'm sure you know as well) doing some time on the Putiraja in September...hard to find a wealth of info on the boat but I trust them as well as Max. That Antares is going to be absurdly nice I'm sure...but spendy!

Sorry to hijack this thread (but this could be useful to the OP)...did The Passage (phenomenal) and Manta Pt (of course) last summer - have you done any other of the side trips ($) that are "must-do's"? Fam Is?

Melissa's Garden at Fam is a must do! Thanks for the pm....good diving!

Hey there

I am planning a LOB trip next year and right now am looking at the Indo Siren.

I have heard reports about the diving being quite current-y. And the viz not being so good (10-15m) is this true?? If so how bad is the current usually??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom