Trip Report Raja Ampat, Live Report, Nov. 7-Dec. 7, 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree, I could

Agree, I could do two to three months of shore diving all around Bali, including room and board, for that kind of cheese!
LOL.
Have you ever stayed in a luxury hotel/resort or drink super expensive wine etc., flew 1st or even business class? Of course NOT, it is cattle class like some of the day boat from Phuket.
SOUR GRAPES.
This is a free world. How the others spent their money is none of your business.

I've done LOB's in RA and just returned from my 1st land-based trip at Sorido Bay. Much preferred my stay at Sorido Bay verses the LOB's.
Please give a fuller explanation for your preference. I'd appreciate it.

But it wouldn't be Raja Ampat diving. 😄

I'd rather dive Raja Ampat than anywhere else I've yet been.

That said, the diving out of Padang Bai and out towards Nusa Penida, is pretty good too for a fraction of the price.
People always rave about far away and PITA to get to places like Raja, Alor, and Ambon, and while I've not been to any, I've read many TRs and seen many videos on them. It looks like nice diving for sure and for $4k for a week or two it better be. The thing is, I'm gonna see 80-90 percent of what's in the far away places in Bali, especially if I'm there several months. In fact, because I'm there so long, I'll probably see more (hairy octopus at Cantik Point last trip) than someone on a short trip to Raja. For me, I just love diving and I don't care what I see so I want to extend my dive trips as long as possible and close in locations do it for me over faraway exotic ones.

Please give a fuller explanation for your preference. I'd appreciate it.
If I may, I'll give you mine:

1. I set my dive schedule when and where I dive,

2. I choose who I will dive with and the length of the dives (generally),

3. Can be better food

4. Usually better accommodation and a bed that doesn't rock all nite long,

5. No 6 a.m. wake up bell for first dive (related to #1l,

6. Can do easy shore dives on local/house reefs,

7. Value for money...LOBs often premium priced.

People always rave about far away and PITA to get to places like Raja, Alor, and Ambon, and while I've not been to any, I've read many TRs and seen many videos on them. It looks like nice diving for sure and for $4k for a week or two it better be. The thing is, I'm gonna see 80-90 percent of what's in the far away places in Bali, especially if I'm there several months. In fact, because I'm there so long, I'll probably see more (hairy octopus at Cantik Point last trip) than someone on a short trip to Raja. For me, I just love diving and I don't care what I see so I want to extend my dive trips as long as possible and close in locations do it for me over faraway exotic ones.
LOL.
You have NEVER been to Raja but have the nerve to BS about!!
If I may, I'll give you mine:

1. I set my dive schedule when and where I dive,

2. I choose who I will dive with and the length of the dives (generally),

3. Can be better food

4. Usually better accommodation and a bed that doesn't rock all nite long,

5. No 6 a.m. wake up bell for first dive (related to #1l,

6. Can do easy shore dives on local/house reefs,

7. Value for money...LOBs often premium priced.
LOL.
Can't you do that in Phuket? Of course NOT.
Wake up!!!

Indeed Bali is a cool place to dive. I have been diving in Bali about once a year since 2005, but I also have been diving in Raja Ampat about 9 times, the 10th visit will be in February 2024. You can do muck dive in Tulamben, big animals in Nusa Penida, I even saw Wobbegong Sharks there in Nusa Penida (see my YouTube video, below), not to mention Mola Mola during August to October, and Mantas all year around. However, the biodiversity, the beautiful and colorful soft corals in Misool and thick hard corals in Melissa's Garden, lots of schooling fish (like those Sweetlips packed like in a can of sardines, in Cape Kri) are no comparison to what you see in Bali. You just have to see them with your own eyes at least once.

I just googled Cape Kri Sweetlips, as shown in this link:
And check out these images:

1701141530229.png

I've done it both ways and when one has the money, some times, they don't have the time because they're still making that money.

I didn't retire wealthy but I did retire early, so I won't be on the Dewi Nusantara again barring a lottery win. 😄

Instead I'll be doing similarly to the way you do, in Bali.

Living in Phuk
Indeed Bali is a cool place to dive. I have been diving in Bali about once a year since 2005, but I also have been diving in Raja Ampat about 9 times, the 10th visit will be in February 2024. You can do muck dive in Tulamben, big animals in Nusa Penida, I even saw Wobbegong Sharks there in Nusa Penida (see my YouTube video, below), not to mention Mola Mola during August to October, and Mantas all year around. However, the biodiversity, the beautiful and colorful soft corals in Misool and thick hard corals in Melissa's Garden, lots of schooling fish (like those Sweetlips packed like in a can of sardines, in Cape Kri) are no comparison to what you see in Bali. You just have to see them with your own eyes at least once.

Living in Phuket, Thailand, I've been to Richelieu Rock several times and Eight Mile Rock at Koh Lipe too and have seen the sardine bait-balls and Jack/Barracuda tornadoes there (as well as Sipadan/Mabul). Plenty of soft and hard corals in those places too. Being more macro oriented, a school of sweet lips wouldn't do much for me either. However Rhinopias, Ambon Scorpionfish, rare frogs like Randall's and Ocellated, Velvet, Rough Snout, Winged, and Anker's pipefish, and Donut, Stiliger, and other rare nuddies make Bali my happy place.
I've done it both ways and when one has the money, some times, they don't have the time because they're still making that money.

I didn't retire wealthy but I did retire early, so I won't be on the Dewi Nusantara again barring a lottery win. 😄

Instead I'll be doing similarly to the way you do, in Bali.
Agree, if money is no object or it's one's two week annual vacation, then go all out; for me being retired and stretching my diving funds, I can't justify the outlay on faraway exotic LOBs or resorts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom