Raja Ampat / SMY Ondina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjarens

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just booked a 12 day dive trip in Raja Ampat on the SMY Ondina. Raja Ampat was at the top of my dive "bucket list", so I am really excited. Any words of advice from my ScubaBoard buddies?

Wow ... great sig line! :wink:

Thanks, but I can't take credit for it. I probably stole it from you, LOL. I saw it here on SB and feel the same way.

Any insights on my upcoming trip?

Hi Marta

This looks a great trip. Sorry, cannot help you with insights - i've dived Komodo & Alor in Indonesia, but not RA.

just posting to say 'have a great trip' & do post a trip report when you return.

i've only heard great things of RA.

your buddy John

Been to RA on a different boat:

Here's a few tips:

- use the transit hotel in Singapore Airport if you need to.
- buffer any domestic Indo flights and your flight back. Most people get delayed in leaving Sorong.
- the longer trips require pacing yourself. Don't push to do every dive from the beginning (morning dives are always a requirement because viz is best then, and daylight dives are great but you might skip a night dive early on). Then keep a good pace and you'll be doing every dive from the middle on.
- bring something to dry your ears and heal ear infections. This can exhibit minor pain, but prevent you from equalizing. That really sucks on day 5 of 10. Some boats carry this but don't count on it.
- prepare for serious heat in Sorong Airport on the way back. Some people in our group nearly passed out when getting processed. Meanwhile the Papuans are all standing around with sweaters and coats on. No joke.
- unless you eat anything, bring some snacks or something to eat the morning after arriving in Sorong. I brought oatmeal packets to ease the transition. After you're on the boat, both Indo and Western food should be great. Good fruit though not as varied as in some places.
- try the Indo breakfast of spicy noodles on the boat.
- Sorong is in malaria area so bring Malarone if you want. I don't bet against malaria. There were mosquitos on land of course and I was bitten in the Le Meridien hotel but essentially never encountered another one on the boat. Rooms in the Le Meridien are screened and air conditioned but the common areas aren't.
- there is no cell phone coverage once you leave the dock. It was great.
- Bring extra memory sticks rather than backing up to some other device which can also fail.

If you've gone through your trip and not gotten sick, don't spoil your run of luck by using the restrooms in the Sorong airport while you're waiting to board. If you open the door, you'll get my drift. :shakehead:

PS - I obviously can't take credit for the sig line either. If you haven't read the whole Dave Barry scuba adventure, here's the original ...

Blub story a very deep experience - Dave Barry - MiamiHerald.com

Greetings John,

We really need to plan to meet up on another trip. Last time was what, Sept 06? Maybe we can meet up in Palau in 2013. You would love Palau.

I'll be sure to write a trip report after I return. This was a last minute sign up, but I have been wanting to dive RA for a couple of years. And I'm so excited I'm finally going.

Keep in touch,
Marta

Greetings Shasta_man,

- flying SEA-LAX-HKG-CGK (Jakarta) and reverse. Will spend a night in Jakarta before flying to Sorong. Lots of layover time in Jakarta on return.
- yes, I will pace myself. When I don't the first half, I burn out half way through. Thanks for the reminder :)
- ditto on the ear dry. I also will put the hair dryer on lowest setting and dry my ears out twice a day.
- not excited about the serious heat @ Sorong Airport. Will remember to stay hydrated.
- I usually pack plenty of healthy snacks when traveling. Not fussy about most food. Looking forward to food on the charter, and will be sure to try the Indo breakfast - love spicy noodles.
- Will be visiting my doctor for a prescription, and will bring the suggested deet spray.
- Fine with no cell coverage on the boat, but happy to know it is available on land.
- I always travel with a couple extra memory sticks and blank cd's, thanks for the reminder.

All very useful info. Thanks so much.

Marta

Greetings highdesert,

Thanks for the link. I hadn't read about Dave's adventure, and it was a fun read.

I see from you are waiting for Raja Ampat. You must have already been and want to go back. That is a good sign :)

Marta

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom