Random thoughts on Moalboal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, and what are ladyboys?

They are boys who are 'ladies'!

As for the diving, 4 years back, the vis 25m at least,
very rich coral life, plenty fish, macro/nudibrach, occasional turtle, sea-snakes.
And the safety stops were awesome: full of anthias, coral gardens.
Even saw a naked man walking down the main drag.

Forewarned of 3h+ travel time from Cebu City to Malboal, so was pleased with 'only 2h+.

As for finances, prepaid accomodation & diving before arriving, so had no cash problems.
Bring cash, of course, but cash expenses were not large, if you dont include ladyboys etc.
Dinner for 2 ~ 600peso back then.

Last edited:
Did my Advanced in Moalboal around September last year and the sardine schools were my highlight. The schools are huge and with the light catching them they look like fishy fireworks. Also SO many turtles I became a little blase about them. We hung out with one while it was having it's breakfast, it barely even acknowledged us but we were up close so that was amazing. Did my course with Savendra with Dino and they were all great, I had a ball. We stayed at Cora's, cheap and cheerful little room but had a wee beach out the front which was lovely. Most gutting experience : we started a dive on the house reef, changed our direction because we were heading out with the current so thought better of it. We passed a dive group from the dive shop we rented tanks from, waved, carried on. At the end of the dive, back in the shop, the divemaster was loading photos of the WHALESHARK they'd just swum with about five minutes after passing us. Nooooooo.....

Yeah the turtles were a definate hilight. I saw atleast one turtle in every dive. I really had a great time diving with Savedra. Dino was a great instructor.
The ATMs in Cebu worked well for me. I was able to get cash at most of them. If you can pay online ahead of time for diving and accomodations, do so. It will cut down on the need for cash. My problem was, I am on vacation. I don't want to have to sit there and "ration" out my cash. And the only knock you hear on the Philippines is petty theft. So I don't want to walk around carrying a lot of cash. I was responsible for 6 people for 10 days. Even thought I paid the hotel and diving ahead of time. I still needed walking around money. With advances in technology there is no reason they can't have an ATM there. I live in the Middle East in an absolut sh!t hole of a place and there are still ATMs everywhere. In the more remote areas they have these ATM trucks. They come during the day and then go back to the city and night.

I paid in advance when I went there last year and that took care of a lot of the cash problems, plus the dive shop I went out with used paypal which also helped out too.
I had some totally awesome diving while I was there and it is on my list of places to go back to!!

Oh, and what are ladyboys?

OK, let's try to make this simple for you Larry... Imagine a boy Wombat... Dressing up as a girl Wombat... So he can get it on with the other boy Wombats...

There. Now does that clarify things?:D :coffee:

Mmmmmm. Wombats.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom