Rangiroa (French Polynesia)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Sarah,

There were several recent discussions on diving in FP including Rangiroa. Synopsis: 150' + visibility, great marine and coral life, amazing cobalt blue waters, a lagoon that is so vast it seems like a waveless ocean, and weather that is awesome (in August when we went this past year).

There is only one full service resort the Kia Ora, and one small Novetel (11 rooms I think). Two main dive ops, Top Dive ( my recommendation) or the one at the Kia Ora. FYI Top DIve is a 100' walk down the beach from the Kia Ora.

The Kia Ora is a good hotel, with good to very good (not great) food and very good service (for FP). Spend the money for a beachfront room as they have less mosquitoes than the garden rooms. Overwater rooms are inconvenient at any FP resort. The novelty wears off in one day when you find yourself walking back and forth on the gangways.

Rangiroa is like falling off the face of the planet. THe only things to do are dive, dive, dive, read, suntan and relax. The bar is empty at 8:00 at night so don't expect any nightlife. I would recommend spending 3-4 nights in Rangiroa and also a couple in neighboring Fakareva (10 minute jump flight).

Hi there,
Thanks so much for the information. We will give your reco'dn a go. We are so looking forward to the trip as we are having Christmas and New Year on Rangiroa. We are booking the Kia Ora Resort (one of the two bed huts for four guests located on the beach), so sounds like we should be OK. I know that Rangiroa is an amazing place to see sharks at the Tiputa Pass. I saw something about it on Discovery and decided to give it a go! I will be a new diver, so I'm not too sure about diving the passes, but pehaps the lagoon will be just as fun! Thanks again, Sarah

Hi Bonaire,

FYI the Tiputu pass is a very fast drift dive, but completely devoid of live. All of the coral in the pass is dead. The "pass" dive is actually a reef dive that ends up in the pass. The drift is strong so the amount of time in the pass before surfacing is onlt a couple of minutes. But don't let that dissuade you, the diving is outstanding. Also, the two story rooms that you spoke of (there are only two) are outstanding. You will really enjoy the accomodations. Have a great time...

Thanks for that. I'm still not too sure about diving the pass, but sounds like there are other places to see cool stuff! I guess I'll decide once my partner has done the dive, and see what he thinks.. Just being on Rangiroa should be a great experience for all of us.. can't wait 'til Christmas!
Thanks again,
ps: Do you have any pics you could post?:05:

Hi Sarah
I dived there last April, and also learned to dive there in September 1997. It's great. I can recommend Raie Manta Club divers (http://raiemantaclub.free.fr/) and there are plenty of other (cheaper) places to stay than the Kia Ora. Personally I think it is much nicer to stay with a family than a resort. Raie Manta can recommend and book for you.

Not every dive was great - like anywhere it changes day to day - so you need to give yourself at least 4-5 days there. We would have liked to stay at Tikehau also, it looked great during a short stop over. I don't think it would be worth going there to just dive in the lagoon, but if you are worried about strong currents, there are other OW water dives that are not in the pass.

I don't have photos, but a short mpeg of us "flying" through the Tiputa pass, PM me and I could email it,

Denis

It seems weird that most dive packages in Tahiti come with only 10 dives/person.

Thanks Doug,
I really enjoyed his photos and report.. gosh, so many sharks. I think we had better take a video camera for that trip!
I look forward to reading your report and have a wonderful time in June.
Sarah

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom