[rant] DIR vs. DID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

bwerb bring up some good points and I still don't think much of Nick.
who the helll is nick, and why haven't I met this guy yet?

Between the time I saw "DID" and read "Doing it Differently" in the post, I thought it meant "Doing it Dead."

Aside from the obvious necrophiliac jokes, I thought it was kinda clever and that we were in for some wicked flaming.

Doing it Dead. Hah. Jammer Six might like that one.

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...

who the helll is nick, and why haven't I met this guy yet?

He helped start a real humdinger the other day over in the cave diving forum. You mean you missed it?

Rachel,

Those divers who follow DIR whom I have personally spoken with either at dive shops or dive sites have, for the most part, been polite, informative, reasonably quiet, professional, well-informed, and articulate folks. And patient with questions.

Most of these types of DIR adherents avoid meaningless arguments.

Then there are the other types, for whom encountering DIR has been a life altering experience closely akin to being beamed aboard an alien spacecraft and anally probed.

Like a religious conversion, their subsequent rapture gets in the way of their rationale. They can be tedious. They appear to be most frequently found on these internet boards, however, anecdotal tales abound of rude encounters elsewhere. This has not been my experience.

Like so many others have already said, there is much to DIR that makes perfect sense. The name, deliberately provocative or otherwise, is unfortunate. But don't let the things you read on the boards get in the way, when you are ready, of your exploring a different way of thinking and diving. Many of the concepts are, on the whole, well thought out.

Avoid tiresome people. Enjoy your diving however you do it. Life is short.

Doc

Hi Rachel,

I too had my doubts about DIR. After a diving accident with my dive buddy(his reg freeflowed and he panicked),I was told by a friend the course would really help to refine my bouancy skills and reinforce the drills we are all taught at the beginning ,but never seem to practise enough to make it second nature .The course objectives seemed redundant to me...at first but later...I
Learned more about safety and getting my trim ,and learning how to control my bouancy so that I can hover at any time any place in the water column has been an incredible bonus to my diving. I enjoy it now more than ever. I have a sense of control and confidence that i did not have before . The buddy system DIR preaches is also something that I am happy to comply with, I am always diving with new people and if they happen to be DIR it makes my dive a safer and more pleasant dive since we both are trained in the same manner ( safety drills) and our gear has the same configuration.
I am not a DIR fanatic , everyone has their own way of learning, but This is a great tool ...not a club. You might want to check it out before deciding it is not for you.
safe diving
:diver: :dance:

Do it Right, Do It Wrong, Do it Differently....

Who cares? It's just an acronym...a marketing ploy. No one would care if it were called GDT (GUE Diving Techniques). Use what you can and store the rest as "good to know" information.

Relax and dive.

Ding it Appropritately, Doing it Best, Doing it Correctly....what's in a name...?

The DIR philosophy has much to contribute to improving divers' attitudes, equipment choices, skills, dive planning...etc etc.

If you're turned off by a label, you could just adopt the downhill skier approach...buy a bunch of color-coordinated gear and look 'good' while being a poser at the lodge ...who cares if you can only snowplow.

DIR
what is good about it.
the main thing i see good about the whole concept is the package deal you get.
you can jump into tech diving with no knowledge about it at all, no research required, no trail and error, no experience neccessary.

you just do as your told, wear what your told, and live the life as required. by doing this you will survive.

so this means the training must be driven home do it my way or else your not doing it right

I truely mean this is a good way to get people into the style of diving early on with as few as just a couple of dives....in the old days you would see tech divers with no fewer than a 1000 dives under their belt before doing truely tech diving, not just wearing the gear of a tech diver.

now new tech divers have someone to follow into the abyss and without really doing any research know they will come back to dive another day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom