Rash but not in saltwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cherokeediver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello everyone,
I've been diving for about 17 years now in that time I've owned about 5 wet suits the last being a full BodyGlove 3/2. I always wash my suit out after every dive (salt and fresh water dives).

Yesterday my wife and I went on a fossil hunting dive in fresh water this morning I have a very itchy rash covering both my legs from my knees to my ankles, a small patch on my left forearm and another small patch on my lower back at the waistline. Could this be a reaction from the neoprene IE.. a hint to buy a new suit?
Thanks..

rash001.jpg

Hi cherokeediver,

No fun.

True neoprene allergy is extremely uncommon and if this were the cause other covered areas of the skin would be expected to be involved as well, not just isolated patches. Moreover, allergies to wetsuits are far more likely to be due to neoprene accelerators used in processing or glues used in assembly. These tend to dissipate with time and use and it's improbable that you'd begin to have a problem with these after wearing the suit numerous times without incident.

It would be helpful to have information, such as does the rash burn? Have any of the spots developed into pimple or pustule-like lesions? Have any medications been tried and if so did they seem to be of benefit? Were you exposed to hot and humid conditions or lots of direct sunlight without protection? Was onset immediate or delayed?

In the interim, it be helpful to look into "swimmer's itch" (cercarial dermatitis) (Swimmer's Itch), "heat rash" (miliaria rubra) (Heat Rash or Prickly Heat (Miliaria Rubra) in Adults: Condition, Treatment and Pictures - Overview - VisualDxHealthŽ®) and "seaweed dermatitis" (Seaweed dermatitis. DermNet NZ) to see how they fit.

Also, periodic disinfecting of the wetsuit is prudent, especially given the current rash. To do this properly, see Cleaning and Sanitizing Diving Gear.

Helpful?

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Hi cherokeediver,

No fun.

True neoprene allergy is extremely uncommon and if this were the cause other covered areas of the skin would be expected to be involved as well, not just isolated patches. Moreover, allergies to wetsuits are far more likely to be due to neoprene accelerators used in processing or glues used in assembly. These tend to dissipate with time and use and it's improbable that you'd begin to have a problem with these after wearing the suit numerous times without incident.

It would be helpful to have information, such as does the rash burn? Have any of the spots developed into pimple or pustule-like lesions? Have any medications been tried and if so did they seem to be of benefit? Were you exposed to hot and humid conditions or lots of direct sunlight without protection? Was onset immediate or delayed?

In the interim, it be helpful to look into "swimmer's itch" (cercarial dermatitis) (Swimmer's Itch), "heat rash" (miliaria rubra) (Heat Rash or Prickly Heat (Miliaria Rubra) in Adults: Condition, Treatment and Pictures - Overview - VisualDxHealthŽ®) and "seaweed dermatitis" (Seaweed dermatitis. DermNet NZ) to see how they fit.

Also, periodic disinfecting of the wetsuit is prudent, especially given the current rash. To do this properly, see Cleaning and Sanitizing Diving Gear.

Helpful?

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Thank you for your reply. The closet match is the "Heat Rash" that would explain why it only in certain locations with red bumps not puss, no burning and why only benadryl tabs and Advil seems to work. No creams or lotions work.

I had my suit on all day but a couple of time I had the top off hence the legs got the full brunt of the heat rash.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom