Re: Possible CCR Rebreathers to look into???!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd just like to correct Madmole's perception that the PRISM would be locked in by the Navy so that modifications/improvements could not be made - that's not so.

The Navy PRISM version is called the Invader. The PRISM Topaz that is offered to recreational users certainly won't be locked in. The big advantage is that all the testing and ruggedisation done for the navy has enhanced the PRISM extensively. The Topaz and the Invader are indentical in their breathing loop and performance.

As for modifications - the rig doesn't need a lot of after market add on's because most features are ingreated into the unit. There is also flexibilty in the design to allow the user to configure it to suit their needs - whether that means putting different cylinder sizes on to meet airline weights or extended dives, stainless steel back plates or personal preference wings/bladders.

As for the length of the dives, lots of PRISM divers are doing 2 and 3 hour dives, a five hour duration scrubber merely means you don't have to change the scrubber on a rolling boat when your out for the day diving. Also, as the scrubber is a basket inserted into the housing as opposed to the housing been the holder, users can get extra scrubber baskets and have them pre-packed for boat trips.

Shas

Just to clear things up.

After rereading my post...After doing research, still have lots to do, and having taken the opportunity to read Martin Parker's info regarding the Inspiration I might follow your guide and start an Inspiration TRUST fund, I also meant to add the Prism Topaz to that trust fund.

Overall I still feel that the PRISM TOPAZ offers a bit more. Like I have said I am not a pro, but hopefully by the time that next year comes along I should be well versed in the knowledge of rebreathers. At that time I should be well on my way on making the right decision.

Sorry for my negligence.

Scubakid

Always a good thing to keep your options open, Scubakid.

One thing I always recommend is at least a tryout on the unit you're intrested in. If you like that, get certified on it. By the time you're through that you'll know if the unit is for you. Then order it if it is, or keep looking. At the worst you've spend around a $1200, rather than six times that on the unit.

Intrested as you are, maybe time to head south:
Laguna Sea Sports in Laguna Beach, California, has three Rbereather Orientation Days with the Prism scheduled. First some theory, then some pool time. Don't know how much it is, but according to their announcment it includes all consumables and a signed copy of Bozanic's 'Mastering Rebreathers', who'll be the orientation instructor.
Dates are March22, June 21 and September 13, all this year.
Contact is Gordy at 949-494-6956

Maybe I'll see you there if you pick June or September. Always wanted to give that lil' thingy a try. :D

If you have a local instructor/shop, you may be able to do the same with an Inspiration. Here in SoCal there are two shops that will do Inspiration experiences: Scuba Schools of America in Riverside (Wayne Miller) and in Montclair (Rusty Barry). I'm not sure if they schedule those as events, might well be that they'll do it one-on-one. Wayne's shop is intresting as he has some older CCRs sitting around, like UT-240s. Good way to see how far CCRs have come. His number is 909-689-2422. Might as well make a little vacation of it. :D

And Madmole's right, Barsky's book is a good one. Had it for such a long time I forgot abou it. The 3rd book on his list I don't know, though. :(

Also, on March 23 is Diver's Day at the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach. Certified divers get free admission with their c-card, and Steammachines is going to be there. Last year they had three units in the water, and Sharon Ready with a fourt one in front of the tank answering questions and giving out information. So if you want to meet the people behind the Prism ... .

Got a pretty decent picture from last year of the Prism UW, if you want it let me know.

By the way, 'Shas', is that Sharon?

Thank you for the info you provided me. Sounds like a good idea.

For me, the course on September 13th, 2003 would probably work best if at all.

I am in the process of starting a business. For the time being it "owns" me. To tell you the truth I have had a somewhat of a struggle with some of my Investors and it is something that I need to put all of my focus into.

I was laidoff from my Management job approximately a year ago and as such I have had to put all my time and effort in doing my business research and on creating my business plan.

If it works out well I should be ready to do business, or better yet, build my company within a few weeks. Hope that it will work out because if it doesn't I am seriously hooped.

Okay, now to getting back on topic of rebreathers courses. If mu business is up and running before that time than I might be able to see you there.

Again, I thank you for your input. :)

Scubakid

... good luck with your biz, and don't worry, the breathers are here to stay. :)

caveseeker7 once bubbled...
Welcome to the rebreather part of the forum, Scubakid.

As far as the Inspiration is concerned, I agree with DDD, it's a good unit. You're right that there have been several death during it's use. Aside from the ratio calculation, you have to look at the accidents. Unrelated health issues played part in several of them, and user's mistakes in most. I've said it before - nobody blames the car on a drunk driver's accident ... . So far none of the accidents has been traced back to a faulty unit. To read a lot more about them, as well as the Inspiration in general, visit Diver Mole's (aka madmole) website. It's an excellent resource on the subject:

http://www.btinternet.com/~madmole/divemole.htm

Another good source on all things Inspiration is the Inspiration and VR3
Forum at ccrinfo:

http://www.ccrinfo.com/forum/index.php?board=;action=register

As mentioned above, the Evolution will be coming one of these days. It's about two third's of the Inspirations size, running on 2 ltr instead of 3 ltr tanks. As for the scubber's duration (2hrs, 2kg), there is hope. If, or rather when, Bob Howell makes his axial Inspiration scrubber work, he might well do one for the Evolution. It's smaller size and lower weight ought to make the new unit quite popular with divers in the recreational range, more so than the Inspiration.

Another promising CCR is build a lot closer to your location, in Chehalis, WA. It's the Megalodon, and now in a smaller overall size, the Mini Meg. An intresting design with tripple sensor, single computer controls, and several differnt scrubber sizes available. Worth checking out at

http://www.customrebreathers.com

I saw the Nemesis prototype at DEMA. At least I hope it was just a prototype as it looked rather shabby. Even the production Azimuth from OMG doesn't come close in it's finish to either the Inspirations or the two Megalodons I've seen. Check the surrounding posts on issues with that unit.

Don't know what your lecture on the RB/CCR has been so far, but I strongly suggest you read Jeff Bozanic's "Mastering Rebreather's". So far the best book on the subject I've read.
There is also an excellent article on the subject floating around the net by Richard Pyle. Can't remember anything by him I've read on RBs that wasn't worth reading.

I noticed that alot of the pictures in Jeff book is Peter Readey the owner of Steam Machines the manufacture for the PRISM. The PRISM has a much better safty record. I have never heard of a fatality on a PRISM. The US Navey has also picked it out of all units tested as the safest and technically sound unit. No other unit even passed phase two in their test let alone phase 4 like the PRISM. I think saftyis important and I like the fact the Navey thinks it's the best.

Good day, or should I say evening to you Prism Guy.

By the way, how is the weather in Ontario? Are you freezing you &*#@ off?

I would have to concur with you on this particular subject; To Prism or not to Prism.

However I would also tend to agree with what both Madmole & Caveseeker 7 have written. Best to do lots and lots of research on this subject. If I am going to throw $8500, 00 towards a rebreather I damned want to make sure that it is the best. Period.

However with that being said for some reason my preference seems to be towards the Prism.. Why I am still not sure.

It just seems to be a better packaged goodie.

I am in the process of purchasing Jeff's book so at least by the time next year comes along I should know the basics and theories behind CCR rebreathers.

Tada :rolleyes:

Scubakid

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom