Real Men Don't Use Scuba Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mccabejc:
Wow. Boycotting a magazine like that because of a tongue-in-cheek title? Do you really think that the title is "unacceptable"? In what way?

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, I'm serious. You mention how "People with 'elitist attitudes' are just showing their emotional insecurity and self-esteem issues for the world to see", but honestly I think a case could be made that you may be exhibiting similar issues with your response. Of course I have no right to tell you how to react to something, but the concept of trying to force or legislate others to "be pleasant and say nice things" to us has always been kind of curious to me.

Anyway to get back on track, I'm signed up for the Performance Freediving class next month here in Malibu. Aside from learning the safety aspects, I'll be thrilled if they can teach me to extend my 45 second dynamics to something around 2 minutes. It's a barrier I just can't seem to break.

That's your problem (IMHO), you're too serious...maybe you should go back and re-read the post in the (I'm joking) manner in which it was intended, and maybe you'll get the point...New Yorkers...yeesh....Now, are you going to legislate me and suggest I only say nice things to you? Believe me, my security and self-esteem are (overly, actually) intact. How exactly, would you "make your case?" Or, rather, are you just spewing venom in my direction with no apparent purpose other than to spew it, and with no apparent direction or subjective evidence other than to simply state a position as if it were abject truth?

Let's go back now and fill in some of the blanks...follow closely. When I emailed them, even they saw the humor in what I wrote (and sent back a "lol" response, which I was glad they got the joke) and even the magazine recognized that the title was not journalistic in nature and could turn people off. Personally, I don't read "Men's Journal" (my "male-ness" being similarly intact without having to subscribe to it, maleness, that is) and I'm sure I couldn't actually affect their readership in the least...I do, however, stand by my quick psychological profile of braggarts and elitists as accurate, because those that truly sit at or near the pinnacle of any endeavor are the least likely to be bragging about it or exhibiting an elitist attitude...again, in my humble opinion...and in my actual experience...

You were kidding ?? And you weren't spewing your own venom with your remark about elitists, you were joking?? And that whole email thing was a joke?? Dang, man, you should provide a translation guide with your posts. :D

Sorry you took my post as "spewing venom", instead of as an objective opinion on what seemed to be and honest reaction. I suppose I could fall back on the "dish it out but can't take it" argument, but I'm too confused about what you actually meant and what you were joking about, so I'll leave this discussion.

Forgive me if I offended you.

Boyz Boyz... play nice... Its really nice out, my wife is doing chores, its still a holiday, and the dogs are wanting to play. I sure don't want to spend time massaging hurt feelings and cleaning up posts.

How about this. You guys stop posting about each other for a while, and let this thread get back to a discussion about freediving (albeit a slightly sarcastic discussion...).

catherine96821:
I wanted to read a book I read about freedivers when I lived on Catalina, again. I think his name was Carlos Eyres or something like that, Silent Hunters....am I getting it correct? Anyway, you reminded me with the Sea Bass comment. I want to learn to freedive this year.

Catherine,

If you have not found the book yet, it's "Last of the Bluewater Hunters" by Carlos Eyles. It's newly reprinted and with a new cover. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1881652335/104-6656894-8889536?v=glance&n=283155

I took the Performance Freediving course in Miami in 2003. It's excellent and quite intense.

Chad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom