Things You Learned but Never Had to Use (or Had to Use)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never:
1. Used the snorkel to regulator exchange
2. Snorkeled in full scuba gear
3. Tired diver tow
4. Had a buddy who helped with a cramp
5. Buddy breathed (sharing one reg)

I have shared air twice and done most of the skills that I was taught in rescue with the exception of unresponsive diver.

(Not having a go, want to learn...)

What on earth happened for you to be both out of gas and not know that? Was there some crazy incident you were both dealing with when you took your eye off the ball?

I could insert the obligatory "I hate 100% for deco, 80% is much better" comment, but I won't :)
I started answering questions in reverse order. Here is what I posted about that dive.

I learned buddy breathing, but the advancement of gear configurations has negated it. I suppose it would be the resource if it became necessary to deco on a shared bottle if a source failed... I've shared air a few times, once for a 30 minute drift dive....

I learned buddy breathing, but the advancement of gear configurations has negated it. I suppose it would be the resource if it became necessary to deco on a shared bottle if a source failed... I've shared air a few times, once for a 30 minute drift dive....

Stage and deco bottles definitely open the door for the real possibility of two divers needing to use a single deco bottle. I disagree with the industry view that "buddy-breathing" is a difficult skill when it comes to the technical and cave diving levels.

It's not difficult, but you have to be able to control your anxiety levels and thus keep your breathing under control. Not something I'd look forwards to doing for real.

I've never:
1. Used the snorkel to regulator exchange
2. Snorkeled in full scuba gear
3. Tired diver tow
4. Had a buddy who helped with a cramp
5. Buddy breathed (sharing one reg)

I have shared air twice and done most of the skills that I was taught in rescue with the exception of unresponsive diver.
Interesting, I do #1 and 2 on most dives . I usually swim out on the snorkel and then switch to tank and descend. I don't mind burning tank air on the swim back, but like to avoid it before I actually need it.

It's not difficult, but you have to be able to control your anxiety levels and thus keep your breathing under control. Not something I'd look forwards to doing for real.

I remember first having to learn the skill in open water class and thinking it took coordination and practice. As an instructor, I learned the key was comfort more than anything else as you point out.

Interesting, I do #1 and 2 on most dives . I usually swim out on the snorkel and then switch to tank and descend. I don't mind burning tank air on the swim back, but like to avoid it before I actually need it.

It's more a function of the environment. I'm sure I'd be a lot more likely to use those if I was doing shore dives in the ocean. I'd still rather swim on my back though.

Back
Top Bottom