Really Bummed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doesn't PADI mandate that instructors must demonstrate exactly what the students are required to perform, and further that they can't teach above standards?

In other words, don't they have to demonstrate everything while in a kneeling position?
Yes, Instructors do demonstrate, or supervise a demonstration, of the various skills that students are to master -- but isn't that true of all agencies? And no, there is no "skill" that students are required to be taught kneeling (with the possible exception of the very first introduction to breathing UW). This is a case where learning from OTHER than SB would be a benefit.

I'm not sure that's the case.

Doesn't PADI mandate that instructors must demonstrate exactly what the students are required to perform, and further that they can't teach above standards?

In other words, don't they have to demonstrate everything while in a kneeling position?

(I could easily be wrong... everything I know about PADI I learned from ScubaBoard)

:poke:

That's actually a good subject for another thread.

Thomas, who are you taking Fundies with?
GULP! Mark Messersmith. Wish me luck!

Dont be discouraged, it is only natural to falter at points in life. Diving is very much a form of art that we attempt to perfect every time we enter the water. By working to perfecting our skills and knowledge, we work to better ourselves in the process. When you come upon an obstacle such as failure, it allows you to look within yourself to find the answers and solutions in order to turn failure into accomplishment. Trust in your knowledge and experience and you will overcome any trial and hardship dealt to you with grounded mind and strong heart.

As Peter has learned and confirmed, there is NO requirement that all the skills in a PADI class be done on the student's knees, not at all.
We have a couple of PADI instructors who are active in our DIR group here, and they both say the same thing. Furthermore, I am pretty sure they teach and demonstrate skills while horizontal and hovering.

GULP! Mark Messersmith. Wish me luck!

I thought it was him as he comes down to do Fundies for Silent World in Key Largo. I just had him for Cave 1 in High Springs, FL. EXCELLENT INSTRUCTOR!!

Good luck!!

I thought it was him as he comes down to do Fundies for Silent World in Key Largo. I just had him for Cave 1 in High Springs, FL. EXCELLENT INSTRUCTOR!!

Good luck!!

Yup, Silent World is where I'm taking it through. Thanks for the luck.

Kind regards,
Thomas

It took me six months to get a Rec pass from Fundies...
I took the class with TSandM back in '05 and still haven't passed.

But then, I never went back to try. I considered the class my introduction to what I needed to learn, and I focused on doing so, rather than looking for the card. True, you do need the card to take other GUE classes, but, alas, I have traveled a different path.

Still, the best thing I ever did for my diving was take fundies. Even without the card and with several "stroke" cards in my wallet, other divers have accused me of being a "DIR Koolaid Diver" - the highest form of praise.

Pass, don't pass, rec card, tech card, whatever. Getting "schooled" is the eye-opener that points toward better skills, and makes it all worth the effort, the money, and the humbling.

:poke:

That's actually a good subject for another thread.

There are *many* threads on this in the I2I forum. Some PADI instructors can't get their heads around the fact it is possible to interpret standards without violating them. Some only teach the way they were taught. Anyway, of topic, sorry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom